GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend
    Blog Entries

I know we are over .70 less a gallon for E85 up here. but you will need to check your milage and do a little math, since as steve says 30% loss i have seen less with rentals with E85 capability around 10-20% but still a noticable loss.
    And no to the question is it true it cant go over $3 a gallon, it can go much higher, when it was $4 a gallon and higher here in MN it was just about $3.75 a gallon for E85...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

A little off topic, but kinda cool if it indeed works:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110227/...s_growing_fuel

http://www.jouleunlimited.com/
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

yeah I saw that a week or two ago, interesting to say the least.

2009 Silverado LTZ Z71 4x4
    ReadyLift 2.25" leveling kit
    285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapps
    5%tint all around
    Plasmaglow Fire & Ice LED Bar
    6000k HID's Low and Fogs
    Black badges

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Schaub View Post
    at least 5 that I can think of...

I'm switching over after this tank. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
    Schaub, get it switched over yet? Any input?
    2011 Chevy 1500 LT, Crew Cab, 5.3L w/act fuel mgt; flex-fuel, 6spd, 3.42 gears, All Star Edition, Z71 & Z82 pkg, towing mirrors, 265/65/18's on aluminum

1997 Fleetwood Prowler 26T - Fiberglass

Florence, AZ...AKA just this side of hell!

I wish my e85 costs were below $3!

You should see an average 15-18 percent drop in MPG due to e85 having less energy than gasoline, but given the fact that it burns clean and is domestically produced, it's a winner in my book! I run e85 almost exclusively for just those reasons...and by doing so I help push the technology along so it gets even better.

You can see more info at the site listed below, along with forums and other helpful tools...like a calculator to figure cost-per-mile for e85 vs gasoline.
    http://e85prices.com/
    Last edited by AzDragonLord; 04-03-2011 at 10:22 PM.

================================================== =======
    2009 GMC Sierra 1500 WT with ... DU-HA underseat storage ; BAKFLIP G2 bed cover ;
    Rostra Cruise Control

E85 by me is 70 - 85 cents cheaper than gas (mainly due to the high gas tax in NY). I track my mpgs and only see about a 1 mpg drop from daily driving. Most of that is local driving so I don't get great mileage to begin with. The advantage is the throttle response. I immediately notice a difference when I switch back to gas. I believe some programmers have an E85 tune, so check to see if you have one. The octane will vary based on the percent ethanol to gas in each fill, but if your programmer is setup for it, you should notice a difference. I know guys who use it in their race cars. As far as whether you can mix it with gas, if you have a flex fuel vehicle you can switch it at any time with any amount of gas and E85 in the tank. Let us know how you're doing with it. Also, one of the biggest advantages is that E85 is made in the US. The more people who switch means the less amount of foreign oil we are dependent on.

Yeah guys I've been running it. Prolly ran 5 or 6 tanks through. I did the math and I think I'm only saving a penny or two, if that. I get about 11mpg with it, plus or minus a couple depending on conditions. AzDragon thats pretty much why I'm doing it, just to help IL farmers and what not. Only thing I TRULY do not like about running it, the pumps. ALL the e85 pumps around here are stupid slow. It literally takes me 15mins to fuel up. I have to drive to STL next weekend, not sure if I'm gonna put gas in for that or not. What I need to do is get my car running again and drive that damn thing.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the follow up fellas. I'm going to run a few tanks of regular and get a few thousand miles on mine before I fill with the first tank. I know I don't have too, but I just wouldn't feel right not doing that,lol. Luckly there's a co-op just a few miles away and it's currently $0.50 less than regular.

Florence, AZ...AKA just this side of hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Schaub View Post
    Only thing I TRULY do not like about running it, the pumps. ALL the e85 pumps around here are stupid slow. It literally takes me 15mins to fuel up.
    A slow E85 pump could mean a number of things- either a low tank, a blocked filter, crud, or it could be a trace of water found. There are filters made now that slow the speed to a crawl if water is detected.

Either way- if you ever run into a really, really slow pump anywhere, make sure you tell the station attendant- so they know to check. They might already know, but if they don't it will not get fixed. E85 should pump as quickly as gasoline.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post
    A slow E85 pump could mean a number of things- either a low tank, a blocked filter, crud, or it could be a trace of water found. There are filters made now that slow the speed to a crawl if water is detected.

Either way- if you ever run into a really, really slow pump anywhere, make sure you tell the station attendant- so they know to check. They might already know, but if they don't it will not get fixed. E85 should pump as quickly as gasoline.
    Good information, thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by