GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: IF GM Offered a diesel in every model would you buy one?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, Make it now.

36 72.00%
  • NO, they are smelly

7 14.00%
  • Not Sure.

7 14.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by

I put yes but, would depend on the cost of the motor as well as fuel cost, but I do like the little deisels in cars. even a 6 cyl dmax in a 1500 would be nice. I am a drill here drill now kinda guy but until that happens (who knows if we will grow a sack and actually do it), diesel is still way to expensive.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I say yes, theres obviously a ton of people out there who want a good diesel-fuel automobile, and they either go for a v-dub jetta tdi or a sierra/silverado with the trusty duramax diesel engine. v-dub doesnt have any large trucks to stuff a diesel into, so theyre stuck with putting them in their midsize sedans. gm has had a diesel engine available in almost every model year truck, and, to be quite frank, experimented with diesels in full size vehicles. case in point: my old 1983 buick electra park avenue. it had a lovely 5.7L diesel engine that was gone before it could be fully cherished *sad moment* anyway, so to answer the question, i say yes to buying any given gm model automobile if it came with a diesel (turbo diesel, :P)
    Jonathan L. Tiffany
    2004 Chevy Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH
    Sport Red Metallic, Dark Charcoal
    04/01/2011

Diesels are great but I can't stand the racket, or the smell. and these days, don't need one.
    2004 Silverado-4.3/AT/AC Work Edition-Clean Neat & Simple

Not yet. With the cost of diesel currently, and unfortunately there is still the smell issue, I think I'd wait for some dramatic improvement. Maybe a true hybrid like a locomotive... Trains have done it for years without all the computer baggage the newer hybrids have.
    AlpacaSteve
    Myakka City, FL

2004 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
    6.0 Gas V8
    WT but with electric windows,
    locks, cruise, remote entry.

Matching Fiberglass Shell
    (It rains here; a LOT!)

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    See that would be ok if you want something tiny.. me i want something the same size as a malibu, if i had the cash i would get a jetta TDI.. Im 6ft2 and small cars arent my thing. But if GM made it i would come. And the thing is the diesel powertrains are already in use in Europe on the same chassis that we are currently driving. So really it would take emmissions testing and your good to go. Think yes you may have to pay $3000 or so more for the same car but saving (for me by example) $200 a month in gas that would pay for itself and start saving me money VERY quickly.
    I know this thread in a year or so old, but the cost of diesel has probably erased any savings over regular gas. I think that a small diesel with a true hybrid is what is really needed.

Ok I put not sure as I have 2 main questions
    1- Is the price going to be reasonable?
    2- What will the reliability be , considering they only service 2500 and above at current?

Personally I would love a Cummins in my Silverado. But for 10 grand more it would be too much for the luxury of a big powerplant.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

This is an interesting topic. When I was in high school a friend of mine whos dad was some high up at ford had a 1993 tempo with a 3 cylinder diesel. Somehow it was acquired after being built for some sort of testing. He got amazing fuel economy and only had to fill it up once a month. I was told a couple weeks ago that the thing is still running strong. The body is shot but the motor and trans are still great, it has over 350,000 miles on it with no major repairs done. I would definitely be all in for a diesel in a cruze or a yukon xl with a diesel..

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I don't know how diesel jetta's are but I have 5 friends with Jetta's and the minute 1 thing breaks, you might as well total the car cause nothing works after the first break down.

And the local dealers typically refuse to work on them for some strange reason.

I would love a 4.4 or 4.8L v8 turbo diesel in my 1500 with a 6 speed allison transmission.

I'd like to see a diesel in a 1500 again. Fuel cost is sky high though.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

As others have said on the thread, I would buy one if the cost was somewhat reasonable. Diesel is more powerful and fuel efficient and I think that it would eventually pay for itself in the long run.

I do know that Chrysler has a turbo diesel Ram 1500 in the works.... better get on it GM. Sounds enticing.
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by