GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: IF GM Offered a diesel in every model would you buy one?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, Make it now.

36 72.00%
  • NO, they are smelly

7 14.00%
  • Not Sure.

7 14.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I would absolutely buy a Diesel.
    If they offered A TDI model engine in the HHR my wife would be driving one today instead of her gas HHR.
    As far as trucks go one reason I havent pushed as hard to buy a new truck is I'm still waiting and hoping GM puts a Diesel in the 1/2 ton truck line-up.
    While I was stationed overseas almost all we drove were Diesel vehicles, some of them were just as snappy comming off the line as their American gas counterparts and they returned terrific fuel mileage rates.
    And no they arent all smelly and noisey, the smelly noisey Diesel is a thing of the past. Anyone that still has that idea about Diesels hasnt been paying much attention to some of the smaller cars sold in the U.S. today, theres probably 10 models from different manufacturers being sold in the U.S. that are Diesel and most people dont even know their a Diesel when they drive past. Take a look at VolksWagons line-up some day, I think their one of the largest sellers of small Diesel Sedans in America.

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    You keep givin me the business, & I'm gonna tell everybody your wifes pet name for you
    Heck I might even start a thread for it just to be sure everybody sees it ha ha ha
    You're right...golly gee Beaver, I haven't "given anyone the business" since the early '60s when I stopped hanging out with Eddie Haskell.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 03-12-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

The little Euro TDs get 50+ mpg hy- in Cruze sized cars and minivans. But the best Cruze spark motor is rated 42 mpg- sooooo close call.
    In a work pickup- TD wins in "goodness" - just a queastion of how much GM charges for them($5000+ usually)

Yeah, like Daredevil says- you can grow biodiesel (soybeans, cottenseed, rapeseed etc)- works as well as petro diesel- usually sold as a mix. Biodiesel smells good too.
    Older diesels can be converted to use used cooking oil-recycled and modified . It can be really cheap if you don't mind a bit of work-chemistry etc.
    Don't think you can easily do it with most modern diesels.
    Someday we will grow "algae" diesel.It could be cheap-and not use valuable food crop land. Might even be able to spike/fertilize it with CO2 from electric power plants- higher CO2 means quicker growth- sun is free!!
    USA has really great energy potential- wind, coal, bio,natural gas, and oil, nukes, various moving water technologies- hydro, tidal, wave.
    Lots of coastline- lots of sun- lots of moving water.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

The biggest question about diesel is where do we get it. If it comes from the states, or we can use veggie oil or bio-diesel then I'm in. If it comes from overseas, then we continue to put our economy in the hands of the oil companies. I'm hearing rumors of $4-$5 per gal for gas this summer. In NY that means 5+. Meanwhile, I'm paying 60 cents less per gal for E85 and am only losing 1mpg versus gas. I can't imagine what diesel will cost. I'll stick with my flex fuel for now.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Seeing as we import less than we produce here in the US and our main imports come from Canada, and Mexico, then venezuela, less than 11% of our oil comes from middle east countries.
    Also if you figure a fleet wide reduction of just 25% that is billions of gallons of fuel saved, and will reduce our demand and greatly reduce the cost as a result. since currently we use roughly 25million barrels a day here in the US.. that is basically 6million less barrels of imports a day!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

We will have $4 gas already in some places-CA and Hawaii.
    I bet we'll have $4 here in NOLA by May.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Blog Entries

I would love a diesel Suburban. Hauling around all my kids I could use a few more mpg.'s.

2002 Suburban 4x4 LS 9 Passenger
    1991 Ford F-150

Legend

The relatively primitive diesel that was offered in the 1998 1/2 ton Suburbans was rated 22MPG HY!
    For comparison my 1998 5.7 is rated at 17 MPG HY! It actually delivers 21 mpg, so that 1988 should deliver at least 26 mpg at 62 mph!
    THAT WAS 1988 was a brick shaped Suburban!!
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Blog Entries

For me personally...NO

Not sure I could drive a diesel without adding propane injection, a bigger turbo, and any other power adder to wipeout my pocket book.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast