GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowered 4x4?

Default Lowered 4x4?

Has anyone lowered thier 4wd 1500 or 2500 truck? thinking about lowering mine to make it look tougher with a lower and wider stance

Welcome to the club. I believe adampaul1964 just lowered his '05 ( i think its a '05) Silverado.

i think hawaii kid was in the mist of doing it before selling his

Yep, I lowered mine by putting in drop keys in the front and removing the rear lift block. I'm hoping to install the rear drop shackles this weekend. With that set up I'll be down 4" in the rear (from stock) and about 2 to 3" in the front. I tried to do the shackles last week but the shackle bolts were frozen and I couldn't get a big enough swing with the BFH to get them out. I'm going to take the bed off tomorrow or Sunday so I'll have more room to work. As far as lowering a 4X4 goes, I'm really pleased with it the way it handles and drives now. My truck never goes off road and I only use the 4 wheel drive when it snows, so with it lowered it is much more practical and fun to drive. I plan on adding a rear sway bar and upgrading the front sway bar to make it handle even better. Also the rear hooks up better without any lift blocks on the rear axle too,which helps driveability too.
    Here's how it used to sit with 3" lift in front and 1" lift in rear:

And now after lowering:

And next to a stock Z71.
    Adam

adampaul1964, do you access to a air chisel? This might keep you from having to remove the trucks bed to get the shackle bolts out.

I wish, no air tools available I'm afraid. I believe it won't be too
    difficult to remove the bed and besides my spare tire is seized,the cable drops just fine but the wheel stays up in place. I even checked with the dealer and they recommended cutting up the mechanism to release it. I figure with the bed off I should be able to drop the tire and repair the mecanism. My bed is only 5 1/2 feet and there are only six bolts that hold it on, so it shouldn't be too bad. Of course we all know what that means, it'll probably be a bitch!!!
    Adam

Sr. Apprentice

I really like what you've done. I've finally come to the conclusion that I'll never be running my Z71 off road so I am thinking of doing the same thing and dropping it to enhance the street performance. Like you, I only use the 4WD for snow but I would really like to improve the handling because I drive 120 miles a day. What size are those wheels that you're running? I upgraded to 285/75 17s so I should still have room. Are you going with drop shackles because you want to level it? I like the slight raked look so I'd probably leave it for my truck and get the sway bars like you mentioned.

Thanks I appreciate that, a lot of people don't "get" lowering a 4x4, but I am really liking the way my truck is handling now. Shackles are on, I wanted to bring the rear down to make it level and also make it easier for the rear passengers to get in and out of. My wheels are G.M. 20's, model CK948, and 305/50/20 tires. Here's how it looks with the shackles on:

Last edited by adampaul1964; 03-19-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    Adam

Blog Entries

I was in the middle of doing the torsion key and lift block pull/drop shackle install when I sold my 03 Silverado, so Adam ended up with all the parts and did a GREAT job of installing everything. He actually took a picture of the angle of the front axles and they looked a lot less extreme when it was dropped than when it was leveled with lift keys, so it puts less stress on the front end than lifting it would. I say go for it-the Belltech drop keys and DJM drop shackles are about 210 bucks without shipping I think, and judging by Adam's truck it makes it look perfectly level.

Swaybars are also a really good call, the Hellwig set up I had on my 03 with the adjustable Rancho shocks made the truck handle worlds better!

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    Thanks I appreciate that, a lot of people don't "get" lowering a 4x4, but I am really liking the way my truck is handling now. Shackles are on, I wanted to bring the rear down to make it level and also make it easier for the rear passengers to get in and out of. My wheels are G.M. 20's, model CK948, and 305/50/20 tires. Here's how it looks with the shackles on:

You have a perfectly balanced truck Adam! It really looks good at that stance.

The altitude of your truck is what I'd like for my '04 Z-71 CCSB. Hopefully sooner than later

What did you end up with drop-wise? A 3/4? How does it ride compared to oem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast