GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2003 Silverado question

I just bought my first Silverado, a 2003 with a 5.7L V8. While driving it, I notice the battery guage is starting to peg all the way to the right. This is an intermittent problem, and all the electronics and lights seem to be operating fine, and I haven't blown any fuses. When I tried to start pricing alternators and voltage regulators, the information I'm finding on the internet says that the voltage regultor is part of the alternator on the 2003 model, and they have to be replaced together. Is this true?

Also, i tried the search feature, but was bombarded with almost every electrical thread in the forum, so forgive me if this a topic that has been beaten to death already.

Well before you got searching into alternators and voltage regulators check your gauge cluster first. GM has a recall on those clusters and i have an 03 and my gauges act all weird. I would run your truck and when you find the gauge starting to peg all the way to the right get out and run a voltage meter to your power cable coming form the alternator to see what kind of voltage you get.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Medicfrost View Post
    I just bought my first Silverado, a 2003 with a 5.7L V8. While driving it, I notice the battery guage is starting to peg all the way to the right. This is an intermittent problem, and all the electronics and lights seem to be operating fine, and I haven't blown any fuses. When I tried to start pricing alternators and voltage regulators, the information I'm finding on the internet says that the voltage regultor is part of the alternator on the 2003 model, and they have to be replaced together. Is this true?

Also, i tried the search feature, but was bombarded with almost every electrical thread in the forum, so forgive me if this a topic that has been beaten to death already.

Welcome to the Site......having a 2003".....your Engine would be a 5.3 Liter V-8 not a 5.7 Liter.....From what you have mentioned re-guarding the problem with your Volt Gauge........I would said it is the Stepper Motor for that Gauge is going out/bad....it is a common Problem on the these Trucks/SUV's,

The Stepper Motors are Located on the backside of the Dash Cluster and are the ones circled in Red,

You mentioned that your not having any problems with the Electronics and Lights.....that they are Operating Fine, with that I would said that the problem is with the Stepper Motor.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 03-10-2011 at 10:37 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thank you for the responses. I'll throw a gauge on it tomorrow, and see what it's charging at.

Yep good luck! Hope thats just the problem!

Welcome to the club. X2 what they said. Theres a company d-d instruments that advertises on this site and they repair the clusters.