GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default rear end upgrade from 3.42 to 3.73

I have a 2010 Silverado LTZ with the 6.2. I currently have a 3.42 rear end. Is it hard to upgrade to a 3.73 or more and what kind of costs would I be looking at?

You're looking at around $1000 to have a professional install and set up the gears, which is what you'd want. You're not going to get a noticable performance increase, nor will you get a big MPG increase with that little of a gear ratio change.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

As Crawdaddy said you won't see much of a performance gain with just going with 3.73's from 3.42's. I'd go with 4.10's. Also is your truck 4X4, if so than you have to do both F&R gear sets. I have found it depends where you live how much the cost is. Also welcome to the club.

Yes it is a 4x4 with 305/55/20 Nitto Grapper tires (33inch) and a 3 inch Rough Country lift, which sucks by the way. I know these thing affect performance, I guess I just expected more from the 6.2L.

Did you reprogram the trucks computer for the taller tires? Also with that taller tire the truck acts like it has a 2.73 or 3.08 rear gear. I would regear the truck. the transmission would also like it.

Yes I reprogrammed the computer. I also have a k and n and a Corsa exhaust. I want to re gear it. Is that the same as changing the rear end like I was talking about. I am asking not to be smart. I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by logangsxr998 View Post
    Yes I reprogrammed the computer. I also have a k and n and a Corsa exhaust. I want to re gear it. Is that the same as changing the rear end like I was talking about. I am asking not to be smart. I really don't know.
    yes its the same thing. and you will need to do both front and rear. with your current setup would suggest the 4.10's.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Thank you for your help. Maybe I should just put a turbo or a supercharger on it.

If your pulling a lot, then i would go for smaller tires or the 4:10 even lower gears instead of the turbo or SC !!! if its an all day kind of fun truck and you dont really pull much, then go for the SC !!!

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by logangsxr998 View Post
    I see you have the Corsa exhaust, depending on the size this could be a factor in your H/P issues.
    Gas Engines dont neccessarily need backpressure from the exhaust system, what they really want is a byproduct of that backpressure, cylinder head scavenging, to keep it short and low tech scavenging is how the exhaust system helps clean out all the burned and unburned fuel air mix at the end of the burn on an exhaust stroke, this product helps creat better torque with a cleaner and better burning mix for the next stroke.
    Take a look at your exhaust system and see how free flowing it is, a wide open free flowing exhaust system on an engine that isnt running in the higher RPM range is actually inhibiting the engine from creating good useable torque.
    Is your K&N just a Filter or the kit? Either way you might take a look at that also and see if it isnt inhibiting the engine from making power in the RPM range you use most.
    Most products sold to increase H/P do just that, but usually they are most effective at the top of the RPM range and sacrafice power in the mid or low RPM ranges.
    Simple tweaks to your intake and exhaust system may be enough to satisfy your need for a little more power.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by