GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Thinking of Buying a 2005 1500 Silverado- whats first

So, my 99 got destroyed (it deserved better) and I found a 05 Silverado nonHD with the 5.3L. It has 151000 on it but I'm not that scared because if you know a thing or two about trucks you know what to look for, in my opinion. The price reflects the miles. I am thinking about this order of things:
    CAI- Airaid
    TBS(?)-Airaid (some like em some hate em)
    Tuner- Diablo seems decent, I just can't afford to keep getting it custom tuned after I tinker with things
    Exhast- true straight or flowmaster better?
    Headers- not sure on brand, would like to do longs but with milege and money probably shortys

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!
    Tater -- South Dakota
    1999 K1500 5.7L -- "Willy"
    -K&N CAI
    -TBS
    -THIS TRUCK IS NOW DEAD THANKS TO A DRUNK DRIVER!
    2005 1500 Silverado 5.3L-- "Herbie"
    -100% Stock (for now)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Do not buy a TBS they are a complete waste of money on the new Vortec motors, and most new motors since the intake flow thru the TB is designed a certain way. It was an option with the older 1988-1995 Chevies but no longer e viable option. Me personally i would stick with a single Pipe (dual out if you want) and open it up the 3in for that portion and 2 1/2 for the dual out portion. If you want the noise then go with straight, if you want it semi quiet/loud go with a muffler of your choosing.
    Shorties arent really any better than the factory manifolds, and if you want more power etc then go with long tubes, or just keep the stock stuff. Cold air for more sound and 1-2hp is fine and will be a nice addition (realistic gains compared to the inflated numbers they advertise) as for a tuner im not really the guy to talk since ive never had one

Personally i would go thru and replace plugs/wires, clean the TB really well (possibly purchase a new Edelbrock TB with the faster throttle response throttle motor and plate) or just as i siad clean the stock on really well. Dont forget a fuel filter, and just a general tune up, tranny fluid/filter etc.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

hey thanks,
    Yea I've heard that the tbs are a waste of money, just wanted an opinion I reckon. Yes I know that almost every number out there for mpg is way inflated, my right foot is my economy master haha. I was a little confused with what you said about the exhast piping, my first truck had split duals, then my last truck had true duals. I will definitely go with the true duals but I'm undecided as to whether or not I should put a performance muffler on or just leave it piped and tipped? What does the cat back system mean/do I see it everywhere and I'm ignorant of almost anything like that?

I tried a TBS on my '05 5.3 and saw no improvement, took it off. Spend your money on something else. I have the Diablo that works great, JBA shortie headers , Magnaflow cat-back, Banks CAI and a small CompCam. The shorties don't make as much power as long tubes ( about 9hp vs. 15hp) but they are easy to install (about a hour each side) and if you have inspections there 49state legal. I perfer a closed CAI airbox. With the Diablo you can make alot of adjustments yourself.

Legend
    Blog Entries

To clarify on my exhaust. I would run with a 3IN Piping from the Ypipe to where you Split it back out with tips, or else you are goint to need to spend some money on an Xpipe to help with scavaging. True duals with an EFI motor that is fairly stock and even modified ones need the Xpipe to help with flow and to get the proper backpressure for the motor to run right and get the most from the exhaust. Otherwise just increasing the pipe size for the portion that is single pipe will do basically the same thing.
    I would also if you decide to run true duals to not go over 2 1/2 in piping otherwise you will once again loose power and economy. Bigger with a gas motor isnt always better.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    I tried a TBS on my '05 5.3 and saw no improvement, took it off. Spend your money on something else. I have the Diablo that works great, JBA shortie headers , Magnaflow cat-back, Banks CAI and a small CompCam. The shorties don't make as much power as long tubes ( about 9hp vs. 15hp) but they are easy to install (about a hour each side) and if you have inspections there 49state legal. I perfer a closed CAI airbox. With the Diablo you can make alot of adjustments yourself.
    thanks trailblazer,
    I will definitely spend my money on something better. Is your Diablo the predator? Is that the only gas one they make?

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Thanks Mur,
    That clears up alot of my confusion, probably best to go 3in back from the Ypipe and then split it somewhere back there into 2.5 or whatever it needs. Appreciate the follow up

The Preditor is the only programmer for the "Classic" Silverado's. The NBS trucks can get the Preditor or the Trinity. There website doesn't show everything you can do with the Preditor. I run the 87 tune because I can get non-ethenol (in know thats not spelled right) 90 octane gas here. I adjusted the LongTermFuelTrims per Diablo's instructions. This made a big differance on how the truck runs, better throttle response,more mpg's and more power.