GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Talking 2008 Silverado Power steering leak!!

Hey guy's i would like to ask a few questions due to my power steering going out today. First off the power steering cap blew off and spewed fluid everywhere. Once i tried buying a new cap and bottles of fluid i put one bottle in cranked it up and it just almost instantly started draining out slinging out every where.. Idk what is wrong maybe the hose has gone bad or messed up the power steering pump is messed up other than that idk. Anyone let me know somethin soon as possible thanks guy's.

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

Legend

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear the news...that stinks. I'll be interested in the responses, as that really seems weird...but I'm not a mechanic, nor even close, so most things seem weird to me. I'm sure Stephan has an answer for you (or questions to help get to the answer). Good luck!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Thanks man it happened while i was mudring the other night but still somethin you really don't run into kinda weird, just was a payne driving back to town to the shop lol.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

*mud riding

Legend

Blog Entries

Ouch! Hopefully, it wasn't too far of a drive...or in traffic. At least you were out having fun.

haha yea man i had a good time me and all my buddies i was leading the pack my other buddy was in his 06 2500hd with 6 inch lift and other friend in his stock z71 but it was out at my buddies lake house out on farm land lol kinda sucked when white smoke came from the hood and steering really sucked at that point.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I can't think of why it would blow off. Maybe a stick or smth got up in there while you were muddin & knocked it off. The phantom stick may have also ripped your hose or the housing & that is why it is running out the bottom now. The only thing I can tell you is to get some rags, crawl under it & wipe off all the fluid, then pour a small amount back in (DON'T start it, cuz you're looking for NON-pressure leaks first) If you see no visible leaks put a little more in. If still no leaks when it's full then start it up & look for pressureized leaks. PS leaks are pretty easy to fix cuz the systems are pretty simple.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Thanks man but i have it at the shop now i dropped it off today this happened last night.. but when i added the fluid today before i started it i don't recall it leaking at all when i started it it just started spewing and leaking out mostly all at once.. the guy's at the shop said the hose or the power steering pump but i doubt it's the power steering pump but who know's also said could be rack and opinion they said i think. They said monday they will let me know but i just don't want to get charged something's and it not be what was wrong you know..

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well hopefully the shop is honest & won't put a rack in it if it's only a hose lol. That's why it's nice to know what is wrong before you take it in. Do you remember where it was spewing out? Was it closer to the pump or was it more nearer the rack? Whatever they end up putting in, be sure and ask for your old parts so they don't shoot you through the grease, or just pay them a surprise visit & look & see what they're doing.

yeah man i'm gonna do that stop by there too see what's going on first thing monday morning too see what's all going on.. i'm not sure where it was coming out closer to either one look to be maybe by the pump and idk if the hose is on there or not might just be the hose and nothin else could be the hose and the pump ill find out monday for sure i got someone i know up there so hopefully can tell me everything i need to know ha.

Legend
    Blog Entries

yeah it sounds more likely that it would be a hose cuz a pump would be hard to crack unless you got high centered on a rock or something. It doesn't take much of a stick or tree limb to wreck a hose so hopefully that's it. Good luck & let us know what they find

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by