GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2003 LT Autoride-loose steering/Clunkinng in front suspension-Ball joints?

Took the '03 in for a tire rotation and the guy taking it back said it felt horrible and had a pretty big "knock" in the suspension. I've been noticing it too, being I don't drive this car as often, but the rest of the family just dismissed it as being related to it "just being a big SUV, it's not supposed to handle well". But now that someone else has mentioned it, they're taking it a bit more seriously.

Basically there is a lot of play in the steering and some feathering on the inner side of the tires, which only have 4,000 miles on them. Front only. The tire guy suggested that it was the ball joints. And with 126k miles without any suspension work ever done, I suspect they're due for replacement anyway.

What's the average rate for a replacement, with me doing the work myself, and where should I get the parts? Also, what should I be looking at replacing in the near future? The service ride control message is on, so I know I'm looking at some serious stuff.

Thanks guys.
    2003 Chevy Suburban LT~2000 Chevy S10 LS~2003 SAAB 9-5 Arc~2004 Mazda6i~1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Jrod, the fact that your tires are feathered on the inside edges indicates that you either have too much negative camber or too much toe out or maybe a little too much of both. The play in the steering could be one or both tie rod ends worn out. Since you took your truck in for the tire rotation, you probably wouldn't be up to doing the ball joints, or the tie rod ends. It's kind of labor intensive.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

The tire rotation was free and we were already by the place so we had it done. haha I've restored a Mustang so I could probably handle it. Thanks for the advice!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ok you restored a Mustang you can do this with no problem. You gotta watch out for those tire shops using the impact wrenches on your wheels. Tennessee Griz had his done & they ran his lug nuts on so tight & unevenly that they warped his rear drums. Be sure & watch them & if they're going to use an air gun, make them go easy & then use a torque wrench for the final tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    Took the '03 in for a tire rotation and the guy taking it back said it felt horrible and had a pretty big "knock" in the suspension. I've been noticing it too, being I don't drive this car as often, but the rest of the family just dismissed it as being related to it "just being a big SUV, it's not supposed to handle well". But now that someone else has mentioned it, they're taking it a bit more seriously.

Basically there is a lot of play in the steering and some feathering on the inner side of the tires, which only have 4,000 miles on them. Front only. The tire guy suggested that it was the ball joints. And with 126k miles without any suspension work ever done, I suspect they're due for replacement anyway.

What's the average rate for a replacement, with me doing the work myself, and where should I get the parts? Also, what should I be looking at replacing in the near future? The service ride control message is on, so I know I'm looking at some serious stuff.

Thanks guys.
    Being as how I've been down this road many times, including the Autoride, you're probably going to need Inner & Outer Tie Rods, Upper & Lower Ball Joints, possibly Pitman & Idler Arms and Control Arm Bushings. The ride control message is probably a bad shock or loose connection. Use Raybestos/Spicer Professional Grade Parts (available at Rock Auto or NAPA(NCP)). If you have bad control arm bushings replace them with ones made from polyurethane and would suggest you stay from Moog Parts. Spicer is light years better, as I've used both and the Spicers hold up way longer, especially on a truck.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.