GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2000 GMC Sierra Towing Questions

Hi all,

I am new here and have a few questions. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with a 5.3l 2WD. I lifted it 7" and have 33" tires on it. The thing is a DOG. I am looking to purchase a 21'-24' toy hauler which weigh around 5-7K lbs. Is there anything I can do to the tranny and rear end to make it tow better and give it a little more pep? Truck has 190K on the original motor and trans, stock rear end. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MY truck is bone stock except for the lift. I figured the Trans wouldnt hold up so I was curious what I could do to the trans and rear end to help it pull the trailer. I live in Southern California so towing the trailer would be min of 150 miles one way to where I am going to go riding and camping.

Quote Originally Posted by caddiac View Post
    So what we are going to do is see what you have and see if we can increase the capacity. What do you expect the weight of the toys and the trailer to be total?

Now we need to figure out what you have. First, look inside the drivers door at the tire placard and tell me what the Vehicles Cap. WT is listed as being. Next Inside the glove box there is a series of codes that basically spell out what options your truck had when it left the factory. I do not know if they would have changed between 98 and 2000 but if you can find two of these codes then we can start to figure out what you have. The codes are three characters in length. See if you can find a code with the first character the letter C the second character to look for is the number 5 or higher. I need you to tell me the third character in the code. So you are looking for C5_, C6_ or C7_. I need to know the complete code.

The next code for which you will search is will begin with either the letter G or the letter H . I doubt you will see it but ignore the code GAM, that has nothing to do with what we need. So here I need you to give me the second and third characters. So you are looking for G_ _ , or H _ _ . Again, I need that complete code.

Once post that information and then we will see where we go from here.
    Would be pulling a small 21ft toyhauler with a couple bikes in it. Maybe 7,000-8,000 lbs?

Weight looks like 6200LBS

As far as the glove box numbers the only numbers that have letters in them starts with 1GTEC

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Model C15753