GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Chevy Silverado CNG Conversion (compressed natural gas)

    I have a 2004 silverado v-8 4x4. With the price of fuel going through the roof I have decieded to convert my truck over to CNG. actualy to a bi fuel , gasoline/CNG.
    I want to see if anyone has any information for doing this to a chevy truck.
    so far it apears to me that there are 2 ways of going. using the fuel injection or putting a cheaper kit that puts a injection spacer at the air intake. Any information would be greatly apreciated.Toddler_2010@yahoo.com
    I already have 3 tanks and a regulater.

    Thanks guys
    Bill

  2. #2
    Master Mechanic clgoch187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    900

    Default

    i cant offer any help here but id love to see how this works out for you. theres a few people in my area running cng, but all in smaller cars and they say they only get a round 70-80% of the power they had running gasoline. i guess its an acceptable compromise for big mpgs and a pocket full of green at the end of the week
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    I have a 2004 silverado v-8 4x4. With the price of fuel going through the roof I have decieded to convert my truck over to CNG. actualy to a bi fuel , gasoline/CNG.
    I want to see if anyone has any information for doing this to a chevy truck.
    so far it apears to me that there are 2 ways of going. using the fuel injection or putting a cheaper kit that puts a injection spacer at the air intake. Any information would be greatly apreciated.Toddler_2010@yahoo.com
    I already have 3 tanks and a regulater.

    Thanks guys
    Bill
    Google has alot of information on this topic. You already have the taks and that is the biggest cost. I work for a natural gas company and we use CNG trucks...they dont get very good mileage on CNG and lack power.

    We had a line locator that had a new 2010 Silverado 2500 they converted to CNG and were comparing the savings vs trhe cost to convert etc... I can ask him how that turned out.


    GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

    If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

    Get the Gorilla!

    gorilladip.com

    sales@gorilladip.com

  4. #4

    Default

    There are quite a few people here doing that, it would help to know what part of the country your in.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

    07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

    68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

  5. #5

    Default

    We've got a bunch of threads on here all about CNG, I think we'll need to pull these together into a special forum just for topics like this so people can learn and get everything on topic in one place.

    Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

    Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    We've got a bunch of threads on here all about CNG, I think we'll need to pull these together into a special forum just for topics like this so people can learn and get everything on topic in one place.
    I think that would be a great idea Steve. It would be nice to have a single place to go to on this website for all your alternative fuel needs. By alternative fuel I don't mean hybrid electric. Also, one thing people need to get straight is that CNG and LPG are totally different. I wouldn't mind being a moderator for that forum either. I am a CSA Certified CNG Fuel System Inspector, I work as a design engineer for a company that builds and tests the kind of tanks for CNG use.

    Jared:glasses:
    2003 Bi-Fuel 2500HD CNG/Gasoline (equivalent 40 MPG)
    2003 Bi-Fuel Cavalier CNG/Gasoline (equivalent 90 MPG)
    2011 Traverse

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
    I think that would be a great idea Steve. It would be nice to have a single place to go to on this website for all your alternative fuel needs. By alternative fuel I don't mean hybrid electric. Also, one thing people need to get straight is that CNG and LPG are totally different. I wouldn't mind being a moderator for that forum either. I am a CSA Certified CNG Fuel System Inspector, I work as a design engineer for a company that builds and tests the kind of tanks for CNG use.
    By all means, I'll put it up next week and please feel free to share some of your knowledge on the subject too.

  8. #8

    Default

    Steve - Thanks ahead of time for your work on this. It will be very valuable to have all the info in one spot. I sincerely hope Highmarker stays with the process and shares his knowledge.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Steve - Thanks ahead of time for your work on this. It will be very valuable to have all the info in one spot. I sincerely hope Highmarker stays with the process and shares his knowledge.
    goldie,

    Often times I don't know what knowledge to share - so, it is best that you ask. I have been driving a natural gas vehicle for the past 4 years. I have gained quite a bit of knowledge. I also know quite a few people in the industry, so if I don't know the answer - I know who to ask.

  10. #10

    Default

    Highmarker - Thanks for the input and it will be wonderful to have you as a resource. You can bet, I believe, on getting a lot of questions from folks. That is of course after they have searched the thread for answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Compressed Natural Gas...I'll try to answer your questions
    By Highmarker in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 27
    Last: 04-01-2014, 10:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last: 11-24-2011, 02:50 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last: 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last: 10-17-2011, 10:50 PM
  5. Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)?
    By topher91 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 10
    Last: 02-14-2009, 08:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •