GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transmission interchange - mechanical speedometer w/ speed sensor

The trans in my old van has seen better days. I'm gonna have to pull it to fix a leaky main seal or cam plug on the new engine, So I wanted to see if anyone knew of a good year/model transmission I could use.

My main requirement is that I have a mechanical speedometer. I wouldn't mind going to an OD trans that's computer controlled, but it would have to have an electric speed sensor with a mechanical speedo cable. I'm thinking it would need to be somewhere in the 88-92 year range. Anyone know if any 2wd trucks/vans in that range had a mechanical speedo?
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Wait, so it needs both a speed sensor AND a mechanical speedo output? I don't think those exist. If you just need the mechanical speedo, I think you can swap the tailshaft with one from a mechanical speedo 700R4 and be fine. If you need both, I think you'd still need the mechanical speedo tailshaft and one of those speed sensors that ties inline with the speedo cable like they use for the cruise control setups. From 88ish on they only had speed sensors; not even Suburbans still used mechanical speedo cables.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

OK Thanks. I only questioned it as I wasn't sure if GM had put the sensor on vehicles with mech speedo. My 89 mustang had a cable driven speedo with an electronic speed sensor as well, where the cable went into the trans. So Ford did both, wasn't sure if GM did.

I don't necessarily need the speed sensor, but I *think* it's required if you do trans control with the computer.

With the 700R4/4L60E, the speed sensor and mechanical speedos pulled off the same spot, a couple inches into the tailshaft. So, you'd actually need the tailshaft and the gear off the shaft that drives the speedo cable.

OK thanks for the info.