GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Royal Purple 5w-30 motor oil?

I usually use Mobil 1 5w-30 motor oil, but I need to get an oil change this week and I don't see any of my local retailers with any specials on the oil.. (It's $7 per quart out here, then about another $8 for the oil filter.. ouch!)

But, I did find a coupon for Pep Boys where they have 5 Quarts of Royal Purple oil and a Royal Purple oil filter for $45.

Is Royal Purple okay for regular cars? Is it okay to go back to Mobil 1 for the next oil change? I've only seen Royal Purple used in my family's race cars.. I don't know how well it works for regular cars..

Legend
    Blog Entries

It works great in your regular car as well. and it is a synthetic so if you are running mobil1 synthetic then yes on the next change it is just fine to switch back to mobil1.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

X2 what murdog94 said. No problem switching back.

I've been using RP in mine after the first oil change. $45 is a very good buy, especially with a filter!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Don't do it! Mobil 1 is a better oil and offers better protection than RP. If Mobil 1 costs more spend the money. Every piece of testing data I have ever seen shows RP to break down fast and is not very shear stable. Of coarse I would rather see you use AMSOIL but if you are making a discussion between those two oil's Mobil 1 wins hands down.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Not to hi-jack your post X but I just bought a used truck and I'm not sure what kind of oil they put in when they changed it. Everyone tells me I should go Mobile 1, would there be any reason I shouldn't switch when I change it? I come from a farming/ranching family and we have always used Penzoil but all my buddies freak out on me when I tell them haha
    Tater -- South Dakota
    1999 K1500 5.7L -- "Willy"
    -K&N CAI
    -TBS
    -THIS TRUCK IS NOW DEAD THANKS TO A DRUNK DRIVER!
    2005 1500 Silverado 5.3L-- "Herbie"
    -100% Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKowboy View Post
    Not to hi-jack your post X but I just bought a used truck and I'm not sure what kind of oil they put in when they changed it. Everyone tells me I should go Mobile 1, would there be any reason I shouldn't switch when I change it? I come from a farming/ranching family and we have always used Penzoil but all my buddies freak out on me when I tell them haha
    Put it this way if you go to a junk yard and ask what the piles of engines are they will tell you one is a Penzoil and another is a Quaker State pile of engines. You can't even put those 2 oils I mentioned in the same sentence as products like Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Go with the Mobil 1 or move further up the quality ladder to Amsoil. some less quality oils use paraffin's and that is what generates sludge.

I prefer Amsoil. We use Mobil 1 synthetic at work. I've never cared for RP.

1st synthetics, this relates more about the "Preferred Customers". I just pay for the 1 year membership deal and then get 25% off my purchases? If so, I'll be doing that instead of buying it in town.

1995 Chevy Tahoe

Mobil 1 is what i use and would only use Amsoil as an alternative.Amsoil would be my 1st choice but it's hard to get here.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"