GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You can disable the DRLs by pulling the fuse. It's marked on the fuse box cover in the engine bay. You do not need the relay if you don't have DRLs so you don't need the relay for high or fog beams. Mine take a couple of seconds to warm-up at start, but do not flicker. Still you shouldn't be having so many problems. Where did you get the kit? It sounds like you may have a bad ballast on the pass. side high beam. Also, to clarify, the high beams do take a little while to warm-up, but mine come on full in a couple of seconds. You won't use them to flash, but they are excellent when on a dark road. Plus, the low beams are bright enough that I don't need the high beams where I might have in the past.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    You can disable the DRLs by pulling the fuse. It's marked on the fuse box cover in the engine bay. You do not need the relay if you don't have DRLs so you don't need the relay for high or fog beams. Mine take a couple of seconds to warm-up at start, but do not flicker. Still you shouldn't be having so many problems. Where did you get the kit? It sounds like you may have a bad ballast on the pass. side high beam. Also, to clarify, the high beams do take a little while to warm-up, but mine come on full in a couple of seconds. You won't use them to flash, but they are excellent when on a dark road. Plus, the low beams are bright enough that I don't need the high beams where I might have in the past.
    The reason there is still a problem is because of what the guy before you wrote about. When the custoemr unlocks his car from the remote the lights flicker for low beams and when he starts it they flicker turn off and then on again which causes them to go bad prematurely. I need to figure out how to disable the auto lights. That's the issue at hand.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bvogts25 View Post
    im not sure how true this is, but i think turning them on and off a bunch of times is what kills them and causes them to fade. i have a hids in my low beams and both of them went out with in a day of each other after having them in for 10 months.

i know what you are talking about the flicker on start up if its dark outside. to prevent this if you hold the light switch (to the left of the steering wheel) one position counter clock-wise (off position) while you start it they wont flicker on when you go to start it. when the truck is on let go and it should turn back by itself to the auto position, then turn it counter clockwise to the same position again and the light should come right on.

pulling the DRL fuse(s) is a great idea and something id do to help prolong the life of them. and i know if its dark outside and you use the key fob to unlock the truck the headlights will come on. so if i dont have my hands full i will actually put the key in the door to keep them from coming on. because then when you go to start the truck, like you said, the lights go out them come back on.

I too am interested in if you can disable the auto lights some how or just have the parking lights come on when you unlock it with the fob
    I will be disabling the DRL's this saturday and will have to get him a new pair of bulbs but I know because of the AUTOLIGHT Feature that the bulbs/ballast will go bad again shortly because they are constantly flickering n turning off due to the auto light feature

I also figure once I disable the DRL's it at least auto lights wont cause a flicker on startup during the day then right?
    Last edited by nickrolando; 05-12-2011 at 08:55 AM.

the DRLs only come on for me during the day when i take it out of park. so when you initially start it no lights are on. so if you are going in and out of park a lot when the truck is on that is a lot of on and off for the HIDs. and if you think about it they go on and off quite a bit during the day. like if you just have to stop to put it in park to get out and get something then get back in, that off to back on in a matter of second- which isnt good

2007 Silverado Crew Cab
    5.3 L Vortec V8
    LT1 Package
    Driver Information Center (from gmpartsclub.com)
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6000k HID DDMTuning Kit
    LED tailgate bar 3rd brake light
    LED lights for foot wells
    LED Side Bars
    LED Headlight Accents
    Husky Mud Guards

the DRLs only come on for me during the day when i take it out of park. so when you initially start it no lights are on. so if you are going in and out of park a lot when the truck is on that is a lot of on and off for the HIDs. and if you think about it they go on and off quite a bit during the day. like if you just have to stop to put it in park to get out and get something then get back in, that off to back on in a matter of second- which isnt good
    So the only way to disable this is by somehow disabling the Auto-Light feature, correct?

And today I am going to pull the DRL fuses, its a 2009 silverado, there will be 2 fuses under the hood for the DRL's?

to fix the problem with the lights coming on during the day (DRLs), all you need to do is pull the DRL fuses as other people have said on here.

with these fuses pulled, the lights will not come on at all during day unless you manually turn them on.

you will still have the problem with using the key fob to unlock the truck at night though. the lights will still turn on when you hit unlock. that is something to do with the preset settings of the truck (which i dont know how to fix myself)

you will still have the problem with using the key fob to unlock the truck at night though. the lights will still turn on when you hit unlock. that is something to do with the preset settings of the truck (which i dont know how to fix myself)
    X2 the lights will turn on when you unlock or auto-start if the truck senses that the lights need to be on. He may want to try putting the light switch to off to keep it from doing that. Otherwise, I don't know how you disable.

Okay, I pulled the DRL fuses and changed the setting in the DIC to Remote Unlock to lights off so the DRL's no longer come on along with the lights dont flash during the day when unlocking the truck.

So all that is left is how to disable the AUTO LIGHT Feature?

Any more ideas?

Jr. Mechanic

I had an interesting time with an F150 with brand new kit the other day. Low beam on passenger side flickering even with a relay kit. Found that the relay harness was burnt close to the connector for the passenger balast. Some of these kits are not using the proper guage of wiring and the wires overheat eventually right at the connectors especially if you bend them sharply to make them fit in a tight spot, they will eventually burn out the connectors enough to stop making good contact. I amusing a good balast on my 2010 silverado with no relay kit, when the DRLs come on the passenger side will sometimes not fire. Now I cover the sensor on the dash when I start the truck and they never misfire due to getting full voltage. Once they have fired, they will always fire on a restart if its been less than 1/2 an hour since thye were used. I know the passenger side balast is weak and ill replace it next time I have the airbox off as it is mounted underneath.

PS Both balasts are 6 years old and still working despite being in Chevy's with low beam DRL functions and Autolights. 35 watt Eurolte balasts.

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate it. I told the customer to put something over the sensor for now until I figure out how to actually really disable the auto-light feature.

Its just horrible because when he starts the truck the hids low beam strobe on off then on again once truck is started and i know it is horrible for the bulbs/ballasts.

noone has any idea how to disable the auto lights?

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

I found it! if anyone else is trying to figure out how to disable the auto light feature on the 2007-2011 Silverado's here's the link!

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/show...to+lights+nnbs

wow that is actually a great thread on how to fix the auto light problem. very detailed step by step instructions and quality pictures. nice find and thanks for sharing! hope everything turns out well with your customer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12