GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Where did I go wrong? Tires too big for lift...

I bought a Rough Country 3.5" lift and some Cooper 305/55R/20 tires on 20" rims. I got a little concerned that the tires would be too big and that's how I ended up here even though the guy I bought the lift from said it should be fine. I've seen lots of rigs here with 2", 2.5", and 3" leveling kits running 33" tires so I figure I'm ok. Turns out, not the case. With these tires, you can only turn the wheel about 50% before it starts to rub and the back part of the fender and on the inside of the wheel well.

The wheels are a 20x9 and appear to have close to stock offset.

Luckily the tires have not been used at all so I can exchange them for a smaller size but I sure was looking forward to running the bigger tire :-(

I suppose the first place I went wrong was listening to my wife being concerned about it getting too tall for her to get into so I went with the 3.5" lift instead of 5" or 6". Regardless, anyone know why this combination didn't work and whey others seem to have had success running 33" tires? Is it just the width and rim size?

Thanks!

2011 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L - 6" FabTech Lift, 35" Toyo's on 20" Raptor's, Magnaflow exhaust, CAI, Intune Custom Tune
    2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 5.3L - Black, 22" wheels, no other mods
    2008 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 2.0 Turbo - Black currently stock
    1993 Mercedes C300 Convertable Straight 6 - Red, 17,000 original miles
    2007 MB Sports B52 - 22' Competition wakeboard boat, 6.0L 375hp

Legend

Blog Entries

I'm not sure which vehicle you are referring to (the 2011 truck?). If so......I think it has to do with your rim backspace/offset. My tires have both a larger diameter and width and they do not rub with only a 4" lift. Although you are at 3.5", I would still think you'd be okay with 33s, as I was okay with a 2.25" leveling kit and 33s. If you click the link below, I modeled our tires side by side for comparison purposes.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 02-21-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Your problem has to be with your wheels. I am running a 295/70R17 33.4x11.60 and just had the slighest bit of rub and I have 2.25" level kit.

________2013 4C Rated__________

33's is a term that's thrown around quite a bit, and alot of folks do extensive fender mods to fit them with only a leveling kit. Many refer to say a 275/60/20 as a 33" tire, but IMO a true 33" tire is something in the neighborhood of a 305/55/20 (just using 20's as a quide). If you really want to know where you went wrong, it was buying that glorified leveling kit. I don't care how many times RC has claimed to have "fixed" it, it's crap. Sorry. Anyway, what is the offset of your wheels? I can tell you that I ran a 305/55 on a 20x8.5 (+18) with 5" of lift, and they rubbed in off camber situations.

If you want to keep those tires, you can either trim to fit, add a body lift, or pull the RC and go with something larger.
    Last edited by Blackout07; 02-21-2011 at 07:09 PM.

NEVER listen to the wife about lifted trucks! I think its your wheels offset. Also I agree with Blackout07 about the RC kit. Don't mean to offend or piss off anyone but that RC stuff is crap. I wouldn't put it on a wheel barrow. Get a Rancho, Skyjacker or BDS kit. You will be much better off.

Thanks for the replies. mfleetwood and ajarman, what kind of offset do you have on your wheels. The Black Rhino Rockwell wheels I got (http://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-...s-Rockwell.php) come in a +12mm or -12mm offset with a 1.5" lip. Not sure that these are. They definately want to tuck into the wheel well and don't stick out very much so maybe that is the problem.

Blackout07 (hanging my head), I saw some of your RC feedback in other threads but that was after I already bought it. Somehow I had a feeling you were going to reply and tell me that's where I went wrong

At this point I'm thinking of adding a body lift but will also look into wheels with a larger offset. If I went with a 1.5" body lift, do you all think that would do the trick? Or should I go with a 3" just to be safe?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jmanb View Post
    Thanks for the replies. mfleetwood and ajarman, what kind of offset do you have on your wheels. The Black Rhino Rockwell wheels I got (http://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-...s-Rockwell.php) come in a +12mm or -12mm offset with a 1.5" lip. Not sure that these are. They definately want to tuck into the wheel well and don't stick out very much so maybe that is the problem.

Blackout07 (hanging my head), I saw some of your RC feedback in other threads but that was after I already bought it. Somehow I had a feeling you were going to reply and tell me that's where I went wrong

At this point I'm thinking of adding a body lift but will also look into wheels with a larger offset. If I went with a 1.5" body lift, do you all think that would do the trick? Or should I go with a 3" just to be safe?

Thanks!
    Mine are just the stock 17's and so are mfleetwoods.

Legend

Blog Entries

Sorry about the news....that stinks when you put so much time and money into it. I am sure you will be able to make the best of it though.

I still have the stock wheels and they have a 5.5" backspace (not sure about the offset). However, I would not use my or Alston's wheels for comparison purposes as we have a 17" rim size. Hopefully, someone has 20"s that can answer your questions. If all else fails, ask the tire shop to try on a size or two to see what fits best. When I purchased my tires, the shop was happy to since I was spending so much money....plus they wanted a happy and satisfied customer.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 02-21-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Sr. Apprentice

i used to have the roughcountry 2'' level in the front of my 2010 and i had 20s with the cooper zeon ltz 305/50r20 tires and mine barely scrubbed and that was turned all the way. i went down to a 295/70/17 and had the same block and it still scrubbed so i junked the rc block and got a 3'' topmount spacer from suspension max. no more scrubbing so i agree with balckout07 on getting rid of the level u have now and getting something better

I'll chime in even though I have an '05. I run G.M. 20's which are 8.5" wide with a +31mm offset. (Just about all G.M. wheels have +31mm offset) 9" wide with less offset will make it stick out further and be more susceptible to rubbing issues. I run 305/50/20 (32.05" tall) but I could easily run the 305/55/20 with no problems. In short rim size and offset is the key with leveling kits. Here are some pics showing how they fit in the wheel wells.(I had 3" lift keys on it)

Last edited by adampaul1964; 02-21-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Adam

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by