GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 3-way 12v Powerblock

I have a 08 Silverado and just ordered a Leer 122 Topper.. The dealer wants to charge me $89 to install this 3-way 12v Powerblock in the back.. How hard would it be for me to install? I have googled and googled to find some sort of How to guide.. but have failed.. maybe its been one of those days... anyone else install this?

I want to make sure I dont have to worry about blowing fuses? For instance I have a ViAir 85P portable compressor and it takes a good solid 14.5AMP and I know we have a 15AMP in the cab.. so I want to avoid that at all possible..

Any ideas..

One last thing, I also ordered a K&N 77-3058KP Performance Intake Kit for my 4.8L.. was this a mistake.. and can a newb install this as well? And was it the best model for my truck?

TuckerMaxx~

WELCOME,

its a good hour work to do it nice...so just pay the 89 and be done with it ...can you do it , sure..but like you said, if you pay him to do all , then if something goes wrong or you don't like what you see ...its HIS problem not yours !
    On the intake kit, you should be able to handle it easy...just take your time and follow the instructions !
    I don't know much about a 5.3 l but i say K&N is not bad at all, better then OEM anytime !
    Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 03-14-2011 at 10:26 PM.

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club Tucker.
    X2, if you have to ask if you can do the 3 way powerblock, then you should probably not try to do it yourself.
    The K&N is a great choice. I've had the one in my truck for 10 years & have used K&N for many applications before that. This IS something that you can do yourself. Very easy & straight foreward.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Are you going to put a Power inverter in there too? This way you can plug in a 120 volt product. If only 12 volt I have done plenty with some 8Ga wire and fuse's ran right to the Battery. If you are going to use a Inverter then see how many amps it can pull at surge. Most small ones are 300-600 watts But some people have done the 1200 watt ones if you do use 4 ga..and make sure you use the right fuse front and rear..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Are you going to put a Power inverter in there too? This way you can plug in a 120 volt product. If only 12 volt I have done plenty with some 8Ga wire and fuse's ran right to the Battery. If you are going to use a Inverter then see how many amps it can pull at surge. Most small ones are 300-600 watts But some people have done the 1200 watt ones if you do use 4 ga..and make sure you use the right fuse front and rear..
    Your teasing me with that suggestion.. I wanna do just that but how? and what setup do you recommend? I did purchase the Duracell Powerpack 600HD.. which is pretty sweet.. guess I could use it.. but I would want something more permanent like what your suggesting.. so how would I pull it off..
    Last edited by TuckerMaxx; 03-19-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added Info

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Are you going to just plug that in to charge it in the back?
    Here are the specs to that.
    Product Features

• Contains three three-pronged AC outlets (480-watt continuous / 600-watt peak) to power multiple devices, appliances and tools
    • Contains one DC outlet which can be used to both power devices and recharge the HD600 unit
    • Built-in 600-watt power inverter, 5-watt flashlight, overload/over-temperature protection and reverse polarity detection
    • Sealed, non-spillable 28 amp hour AGM battery and detachable alligator clamps for jump-starting cars (up to 8-cylinder); refer to users' manual for charging instructions
    • Built-in AM/FM radio and digital alarm clock

If so I would go with 4 Ga wire From the Battery down into the frame then up to the area where you want the power. I would put a 40-60 Amp Maxi fuse at each end. Also some good wire loom around the wire and gromets where ever you go into the metal. at the back end use a good dist block then hook up your 12 volt rec to that and wire your inverter to it..

---------- Post added at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

Found some more info.. It does draw .20 amps while off and still pluged in.... So maybe a on/off switch 40 amp rated (At Radio Shack) would be smart too...

Duracell PowerPack 600 HD 600 Watt Inverter Specifications

• AC output power (max. continuous): 480 W
    • AC output power (5 min): 600 W
    • AC output surge capacity (peak): 960 W
    • AC output voltage (nominal): 120 V
    • AC output frequency: 60 Hz
    • AC output waveform: Modified sine wave
    • Inverter no-load current: < 0.20 amps (battery drain with no load on inverter)
    • Inverter low-battery alarm: 11.0 V
    • Inverter low-battery shutdown: 10.5 V
    • Internal battery type: Sealed lead-acid, AGM
    • Internal battery capacity: 28 Ah, 280 CCA
    • Internal battery voltage: 12 Vdc (nominal)
    • DC power socket (circuit breaker): 12 A (automatic reset)
    • Unit dimensions (L x W x H): 14.0 x 9.0 x 12.0 inches (35.6 x 22.9 x 30.5 cm)
    • Unit weight: 25 lb (11.3 kg)
    • Warranty Twelve months
    • Operating temperature: 32 degrees F to 104 degrees F (0 degrees C to 40 Degrees C)
    • Storage temperature: 32 Degrees F to 86 Degrees F (0 Degrees C to 30 Degrees C)
    • Jump-start cables: 24 inches (610 mm), 4 AWG
    • Radio: AM 526 - 1606 kHz / FM 82 - 105 MHz
    • Flashlight: 5 W (replaceable)