GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1998 silverado leaking coolant near heater hoses on heater core

I have a 1998 Silverado K1500 5.7L 175,000 miles.

I drove to work today and when I got there I noticed it was leaking coolant from what appeared to be the heater hoses at the heater core. Upon inspection I found it is actually coming from a "spout" that is next to the heater hoses on the core, this is a rubber hose about the same diameter as the heater hoses and makes a 90 degree bend pointing downward. Does this mean I have to replace the heater core? If I do, do I have to remove the dash, or can I just remove the plastic "oil pan" looking part on the passenger side in the cab?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leak_Location.JPG  
    Last edited by BigTirez; 03-20-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Adding picture

Well, I pulled some of the plastic parts off under the dash because I really didn't want to tear into the heater core if I didn't have to. I didn't notice ANY sign of leaking on the plastic under the heater core. Thanks CADDIC for letting me know what that drain was for, upon removing plastic I kind of figured it had to be the evaporator drain. I think it just may have been moisture from the evaporator, it has been quite humid here in the Pacific Northwest and I usually have my climate control on defrost which would run the AC. Is it possible that there was something blocking the evaporator drain and when enough fluid built up it finally broke the dam so to speak? I just purchased the truck in the beginning of March and the previous owner may not have used the defrost as much as I do. Anyway, I am going to keep and eye on my coolant levels and constantly check the passenger floorboard for moisture. If anything further is done I will be sure to update my post. Thanks again for your help CADDIC.