GM Truck Club
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 12 Volt plug-in

  1. #1

    Default 12 Volt plug-in

    Does anyone know if I can replace my ciggarette adapter for a 12 volt plug-in?
    West Texas, 2011 Silverado LT Z71, 2007 GMC Acadia SLT

  2. #2


    Bit confused on what your asking. Cigarette Lighter can be removed and any 12v accessory will work in that socket and cigarette lighter will work in any 12v socket.

  3. #3


    Im talking aobut removing the ciggarette adapter and placing a two-prong plug in its place, like so you can plug in a regulat home cell phone charger.
    West Texas, 2011 Silverado LT Z71, 2007 GMC Acadia SLT

  4. #4

    Enkeiavalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....


    Do you want to add a invertor? So you can have a 120 volt plug in your truck?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

  5. #5


    If you want to put a house plug in, you will need to get an inverter. I have one in my Sub (I keep it in the console 'til I need it), and it works great for most of what I need it for.

    1991 Suburban

  6. #6


    If your looking at just charging a cell fone then you would need in inverter. a regular house phone charger requires 110-240v ac, not 12v dc .. you can buy a small 100watt ac inverter that plugs right into the ciggerate lighter. You can also buy a bigger portable one. if your looking a a more permanent solution then I would wire it from the battery and install seperate 110v outlets vs taking out one of your 12v sockets. imo

  7. #7


    Go to Walmart or AutoZone and tell them you want an invertor, they sell a small invertor that plugs right in your 12v plug and will provide sufficient power to recharge your cell phone.

  8. #8


    Yes, thats exactly what I was wanting....
    West Texas, 2011 Silverado LT Z71, 2007 GMC Acadia SLT

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 11:50 PM
  2. GM Volt Plug-In Electric Car - NewsOXY
    By Steve in forum Chevy Volt Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 08:30 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts