GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2011 Sierra Transfer Case Noise

Hi guys.

I just bought a brand new GMC Sierra 4X4 Ext. cab Nevada Edition with a manual transfer case.

When I drive in 4 Hi the front end makes a terrible noise like bad brake pads on a rotor and gets louder as I accelerate. The noise goes away when I shift back into 2 wheel drive. I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic told me that this noise is normal for a manual transfer case (it sure does not sound normal to me). I have never had a 4X4 without the electronic transfer case before so I don't know if there should be a noise.

If anyone knows, would you please let me know what should be normal and what should not?

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Cullihall View Post
    Hi guys.

I just bought a brand new GMC Sierra 4X4 Ext. cab Nevada Edition with a manual transfer case.

When I drive in 4 Hi the front end makes a terrible noise like bad brake pads on a rotor and gets louder as I accelerate. The noise goes away when I shift back into 2 wheel drive. I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic told me that this noise is normal for a manual transfer case (it sure does not sound normal to me). I have never had a 4X4 without the electronic transfer case before so I don't know if there should be a noise.

If anyone knows, would you please let me know what should be normal and what should not?
    If I were you I'd go back to your dealership and ask to drive another pickup with the identical set up and see if it in fact is that noisy.

I have a manual t-case and have never had this problem.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Try another dealer. Any dealer that says thats normal is one to stay away from.

Awesome. Thank you guys for your time! I will let you know if I find anything out.

To anyone who has wondered if this is supposed to be normal.

I just took another 2011 GMC Sierra with a manual transfer case out for a test drive and it sounded just like the one I have. This atrocious noise must be normal on new 4X4 GM trucks with a manual transfer case. If I had known this I would never have bought it. In my opinion, while traveling on a straight road, you should not be able to tell if you are in 4 High just by sound.

This sucks. I am stuck in a brand new truck that makes a terrible "but normal" sound that is bad enough that I won't even use the 4X4! Thanks GM.

I wonder if GM puts synthetic lube in at the factory? If not I would try synthetic lube and see if it quites down. Just a thought.

That is really weird because mine does not make this noise.

I have the same problem, your right It Sucks!