GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Projector headlights? Good or bad?

I have HIDs in my truck with the stock headlights. They are pretty bright but I've had some people tell me that if I put projector headlights in they will be brighter. Some of the cars that roll around my town have projectors but their HIDs look ****ty. Does anyone have HIDs with the projector lights? Do they look good? Does it make the light brighter and shine farther? Thanks.
    -Chad

I don't have projector headlights but I've toyed with the idea from time to time. After doing some research and talking to people who have them, I've come to the general conclusion that when comparing the light output of projector headlights with that of the stock headlights (also equipped with HIDs), there is a tradeoff that needs to be understood. Projector lights throw a more concentrated beam of light (thus, appearing brighter). The downside to this is that the beam isn't as wide as normal headlights. Since stock headlights have a larger 'reflecting cone' (?), a wider beam is thrown that allows better lighting at the vehicle's peripherals. Projector headlights, however, project the light more like a flashlight does... straight forward with less overall coverage. For this reason, the same light output may look less bright with standard headlights.

In conclusion, it's entirely up to you. Sometimes I really like the look of projector headlights but I'm not all that opposed to the stock look. Furthermore, I would certainly prefer to have good light coverage when I'm on the highway (or small state/county roads) at night.

If I got the OEM looking black lights would it take some of my visibilty away. It has black sides instead of the chrome look so it gives it a cooler look. i like it but im scared its gonna make my lights look bad.
    '07 Chevy Silverado Classic

PERFORMANCE
    -K&N Intake
    -Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer
    -Thrush Muffler
    -Bully Dog Triple GT Programmer
    5.3L V8
    LOOKS
    -3" Spindle Lift
    -Tint
    -Blacked Out Rims
    -Blacked Out Taillights
    SOUND
    -2 Kicker CVT 12s
    -Rockford Fosgate 6.5"
    -500 Alpine Mono Block
    -Pioneer 6.5" Touch Screen
    -2 Boss Tweeters
    SOON!
    -3.73 gears

I've considered changing my headlights for a while but I haven't seen any that look any better than stock for my year truck ('05) and I don't like the concentrated beam of projectors so I just run Nokya stage II halogen bulbs in the stock headlight assembly. The Nokya's are very bright without the hassles of ballasts, I have people ask all the time if I have HID'S. I also run Hi-beam bulbs (9005) in my fogs which really light up the road. I think changing headlight assemblies would be a step backwards in looks and performance for me.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964
    ...so I just run Nokya stage II halogen bulbs in the stock headlight assembly. The Nokya's are very bright without the hassles of ballasts, I have people ask all the time if I have HID'S. I also run Hi-beam bulbs (9005) in my fogs which really light up the road...
    That's sweet w/ the hi-beams in the fog lights, it has got to be amazingly bright.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

It is for me, I don't get flashed very often since the fogs are aimed lower. You should try them, it's plug and play.
    Last edited by adampaul1964; 03-21-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    Adam

I have the Black Eagle Eye Projector headlights with the Halo's and led lights around all of that it's the way i bought them they are top of the line but they costed me $390 bucks.. I was thinking about hid's but i really would just be happy with some blue halogen bulb's and the projector are brighter when going down the road yes but like Vincennes said they are only brighter in a certain length while driving the range isn't as wide when i had the stock one's with blue halogen bulbs but people also think i have my brights on with the projector's ha.

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Vincennes02261897 View Post
    After doing some research and talking to people who have them, I've come to the general conclusion that when comparing the light output of projector headlights with that of the stock headlights (also equipped with HIDs), there is a tradeoff that needs to be understood. Projector lights throw a more concentrated beam of light (thus, appearing brighter).
    theres no tradeoff, hid lights in stock housings is stupid and illegal and is dangerous to oncoming traffic
    those hid kits should only be installed with projector lights so they can be aimed properly towards the ground with no scatter beam

Quote Originally Posted by jordanr1987 View Post
    theres no tradeoff, hid lights in stock housings is stupid and illegal and is dangerous to oncoming traffic
    those hid kits should only be installed with projector lights so they can be aimed properly towards the ground with no scatter beam

Hmm. Well thanks for your input but I don't think anyone was talking about legality here. It's a good thing, too, since everyone who has posted thus far is from a different state and laws vary widely from state to state. That's all not even to mention the fact that it appears to me that you're from a completely different country.

On the note of legality, though (since it was so courteously mentioned by jordan), it goes without saying that any automotive modification that is the slightest bit questionable should be clarified by an appropriate representative of your state or country.

Thanks,
    Vince

Jordan - thanks for the input but I didnt question the legality of them. I was wondering which were brighter. I have passed plenty of cops in my town and have never been pulled over, only looked at cause my truck is beast.
    '07 Chevy Silverado Classic

PERFORMANCE
    -K&N Intake
    -Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer
    -Thrush Muffler
    -Bully Dog Triple GT Programmer
    5.3L V8
    LOOKS
    -3" Spindle Lift
    -Tint
    -Blacked Out Rims
    -Blacked Out Taillights