GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default delayed 2-3 up shift on cold days

i have a 2000 silverado with 8800 miles on it yes 8800 .when its under 30 degrees out i have to drive about 3 miles before the tranny warms up before it will shift from second to third .its a 4by4 with a 4.8 long bed 1500 .is this common with these .thanks for any info

Yes, the computer will prevent an upshift from 2nd to 3rd when the temp around 30 degrees or less until the coolant temp or trans temp is high enough. Or you go over 35 mph. Mine does the same thing and it's annoying. There is actually a TSB regarding this. It's normal operation.

thanks bud my next step was going to call my wifes cousin he is a chevy mechanic and truck nut.this was too consistent and from what you said that is exactly what is happening .i knew this forum was the place to go

While it is indeed normal behavior, with only 8800 miles on it, have you done any fluid changes on the truck? Even just sitting unused for long periods of time, water, etc. can collect and fluids will break down.

i was going to change the tranny fluid and filter before the summer.i got this truck back in november from one of my old friends .he just bought a 2011 crew cab 1500.he called me up said do you want my truck .i said if its for free its for me.i know every thing that was done to this truck .which is basically nothing.just oil changes and three batteries.he had commercial plates on it from when he bought it new.as soon as i got it i put regular plates on it otherwise its a royal pain around the bronx.thats why he never really used it.