GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Chevy Express Diesel Engine Option

I have a question about the express van? How can you build one with a diesel?

I tried the chevy site but no matter what platform I choose I can not come up with a diesel option... I assume 2500 and above but what's the shortest wheelbase I can get it in? What I am trying to do is to order the ultimate family cruiser in diesel and have a quigley 4x4 conversion done so it can be used in the bad weather and fire roads with confidence and still tow a decent size trailer..

I have a suburban now to do this all but in a year or less I am buying something new and really want the capacity of a suburban or van with 4 wheel drive and diesel... and anyway new suburbans without diesels are running 60 thousand so why not get something a little different.... I had a ford quigley conversion van in the past but do not want to go ford again.... I am a diesel freak and would love a new duramax.... and a crew cab pickup dosen't have enough seats....
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 10-30-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Legend

not sure of the diesel but GM vans have the option of 4X4 already
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Mechanic

They do in the short wheelbase 1500 with gas motor and it's awd... Better but only able to tow 6000lbs thats a push with an enclosed trailer with a racecar.. My Suburban 1500 rated at over 8000 lbs dosen't like it too much so really it's time to upgrade to a 2500 or better. I just want something we can drive all year, I'm sick of having single purpose vehicles and have sold most of them recently....

you need to deal with quigley direct for what you want.

it won't becheap however, but they make custom conversion vans in awd,

myfriend has a quigley and i have awd,he would trade me in a heartbeat, the ride and gas is hard to beat

Jr. Mechanic

That was the point of trying to find a diesel van then send off to quigley.. I need a 2500 or higher and quigley right now is converting used vans as long as they pass their inspection. I actually owned a quigley ford e 150 that my father bought new untill it was totaled by a gmc pickup running a red light.... broke the frame and everything. I wanted to strip it out, but ended up in the hosp. and 3 years of back surgery so a no go on that one.... That is really my plan... or I'm just gonna get a duramax pickup and put a cap on it and hope nobody else wants to go on trips, and if they do they have to drive... 2010 GM vans will not be offering a diesel option according to GM (I talked to teir online reps, but it was available in 2009... I think they are redesigning them slightly and mught start offering them later on.

did you try a locator, that is cool that they will do used vans times are really tough overthere

Jr. Mechanic

Yea they are doing low milage used and it has to pass their standards... Unfortunatly I am not in a position to do it today, so no real rush. I have to pass this by the lil' woman also since if I do this I will be getting rid of the 1500 suburban which she likes to drive. If only they made a diesel suburban still then this wouldn't have been a problem.. and getting a converted diesel suburban is a lot more money then converting a van to 4x4.... both are still up there in price either way you look at it... but isn't the rule the one who dies with the most and coolest toys wins? Actually trying to justify spending the amount of money I'm looking at when I can pick up a used duramax crewcab pickup for around $20,000 and a van would prob. end up around $40,000 mabe more and a converted suburban can be $70,000 plus... Believe me I've been checking everywhere trying to figure this out. Actually really thinking about getting out of the game completly and selling everything I can and just bank all the money.. that would be the smart thing to do.. but I have never said I am smart....

Wanted to breathe some life back into this thread, did you ever find what you were looking for?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Jr. Mechanic

Yes and no....... they do now make a passenger van in diesel. Not just in books, but really available to the tune of $45000 or so. Add the conversion of 4x4 another $11000 and you are on to $55000-60000 dollars. The price of a new suburban loaded without diesel. But also none of the creature comforts of a loaded suburban. I can spend another few grand on upgrading to aftermarket leather or I can just break down and go new convrsion van and spend many more dollars. Either way the option is there now. I haven't bought anything. Matter of fact I sold all the toys but still do want the ultimate 4x4 cruiser for space and really do want diesel. As life goes times have been difficult recently and this has to be put off for another day. Our 1500s are running fine for now, just looking to get another 2 years out of the burban and with well over 200000 miles we will see. If anyone else is looking for a similar setupi would be more then happy to help them along. Believe me, all the research is done and paperwork was ready to go. Just didn't sign the papers.