GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: CAI questions

Default CAI questions

i have a spectre CAI and i was wondering how i could remove the most amount of heat getting sucked into it. any ideas? i was thinking about wrapping the intake tubing with some sort of insulator that would help the air not heat up as it goes through it.

the spectre CAI is not an enclosed airbox, but just an outer box without the top part. and the intake tube is not plastic but i would say aluminum. suggestions on how to avoid all the heat and keep the performance would be great. thanks

The best idea is shielding around the intake to keep hot air from your engine from getting sucked it.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

be careful with wrapping the tube/maf sensor... tried that with my car... and while it did work by keeping the air cooler longer, once it did eventually heat up, the issue was that is also takes it alot longer to cool down since the insulation wrapping is holding that hot air/heat IN too...
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    The best idea is shielding around the intake to keep hot air from your engine from getting sucked it.
    Yep, what Nt said & the best stuff I've found for this is the silver "bubble" insulation. It's both reflective & insulative, tough, cheap, takes paint like a champ, & can be found in almost any hardware store both in pre-cut rolls & in bulk.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    be careful with wrapping the tube/maf sensor... tried that with my car... and while it did work by keeping the air cooler longer, once it did eventually heat up, the issue was that is also takes it alot longer to cool down since the insulation wrapping is holding that hot air/heat IN too...

That's a good point Monte
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

yeah the CAI came with the shield. so i shouldnt be too worried about too much heat getting into the intake?

Personally I would go with another intake that has a heat shield.

I have the K&N FIPK system. It had the best ratings I could find...keep in mind I'm in CA so I only had 50 state legal products available to me. But, the intake is made of plastic so it dissipates heat very well and the huge air filter is enclosed. I def noticed an increase in HP once in the power band on my 07 Silverado 6.0.

Hope that helps.

I got DEI cool tape it is an insulating reflective tape. Cost me about $16.00 There website is www.designendineering.com