GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default sts turbo systems

has anyone actually looked at the rear wheel numbers that there turbo system puts out? its kind of ridiculous, there saying only 348rwhp for a stock 6.0 truck. but they want a little over 6k for the kit that will do that. makes me want to just build my truck all motor for what they want. anyone know someone or have one of these systems on their vehicle?
    2000 single cab short bed 1500 w/ 6.0 vortec maxx swap from a 2006 2500, custom intake, slotted brakes, shorty headers, 8mm wires, electric fan, strait piped, 4.5 inch lift, asp pulleys, true dual through body exhaust, built trans w/ shift kit, custom tune by efi alchemy...320rwhp

I know the '03 6.0 has 300hp, so take in to account the 20% or so loss to the wheels in RWD vehicles, you would have about 240rwhp; so they are claiming about an extra 108rwhp. I may be wrong but I think most non-NA systems claim about a 50%-60% increase in HP whether it be a turbo kit or supercharger, and 108rwhp would just about fall in that range. As for it being a good deal, depends on your power to wallet ratio .
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

true, but for what they want for a remote mount system i may as well go twin turbo under the hood for another 300 bucks... or just go ahead and build a NA motor pushing into 400rwhp for antoher $2500 (long tubes, cam, and retune)
    2000 single cab short bed 1500 w/ 6.0 vortec maxx swap from a 2006 2500, custom intake, slotted brakes, shorty headers, 8mm wires, electric fan, strait piped, 4.5 inch lift, asp pulleys, true dual through body exhaust, built trans w/ shift kit, custom tune by efi alchemy...320rwhp

I looked into it heavily and still pondering the thought. However I an eye on a procharger setup that would produce more power and is a cross breed from a turbo and surpercharger.

procharging is the way i see a lot of people go these days... ya its based of a turbo, which makes it centrifical verses the roots style like magnacharger. now they do produce a wide power band but i dont know if i could handle the constant wine it produces. i think the wistle would be more bareable.

if your goin with a turbo set up, get a single t3t4 turbo instead of a twin or bi-turbo set up it will be a lot easier to tune and plumb.....multiple turbos means a mess of tubing and vac lines, and the more you have the more chances you have for a leak.
    and did you look into a top mount supercharger?
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

I'm not sold on the STS system because it mounts under the car or truck in the rear where it gets all the dirt, mud, rocks, water and other debris. Yes it gets some of that under the hood but I think nowhere near what it gets in the rear under truck. If one of those hoses/pipes gets loose I'm sure you get some damage somewhere.

also a turbo actually spools off of the heat, not the airflow- thus meaning the closer to th head you mount your turbo, the more efficient it will be...foe example look at a cast manifold for a civic or any other car for that matter....they're basically just logs. and if your thinking turbo headers are a good idea ask anyone who has actually ran them and they'll tell you how bad they are. turbo headers will bend break and even shatter from the heat and weight of the turbo.
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks