GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Removing OnStar Module?

I have a 2006 Silverado and I am looking to remove the onstar module. Is there an easy way to remove it or do I need to pull the dash? Any help would be great!!

if you remove it you might not be able to drive it it is parrt of the can bus network in that truck on can bus systems all modules cominicate through each other any breaks in the line and you end up with alot of strange problems say like in a crash (on star module is between the srs module (air bag module) and the pcm on star module kills power to fuel pump in case of a crash and soo on

I just bought the truck and don't like the idea of having a GPS in there where someone else can track me, it's currently disconnected and I don't know of any issues yet.

They won't track you, but I believe the module is on the right side of the dash behind the air bag. The truck will run fine without it. or at least mine has.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

There are so many other things that emit signals which make it easy to track you that the on star receiver shouldn't even be a worry. your cell phone constantly on or off is pinging off towers modulating locations, almost every consumer product these days has an embedded RFID chip for asset tracking in warehouse's there are just so many way's to track someone its not even worth your trouble to think about it ya know? all on star uses to communicate with the outside world is a cellular device like a cell phone nothing more nothing less. I removed mine in my trailblazer and i didn't lose any function's at all should be a pain free operation if you still would like to get rid of it.

Plus, you might want to take a look at the new OnStar Mobile Apps where you can do so much cool stuff through the technology. Granted, it doesn't HAVE to be OnStar, but all cars will have this in the next couple of generations I predict.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.