GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chevy Vs. GMC Frame

Is it true that GMC has more rivets on the frame then a Chevy truck of the same model? For example the Chevy Silverado 1500 compared to the GMC Sierra 1500. My friend and I got into an arguement on who has a better built frame and he told me that.
    '07 Chevy Silverado Classic

PERFORMANCE
    -K&N Intake
    -Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer
    -Thrush Muffler
    -Bully Dog Triple GT Programmer
    5.3L V8
    LOOKS
    -3" Spindle Lift
    -Tint
    -Blacked Out Rims
    -Blacked Out Taillights
    SOUND
    -2 Kicker CVT 12s
    -Rockford Fosgate 6.5"
    -500 Alpine Mono Block
    -Pioneer 6.5" Touch Screen
    -2 Boss Tweeters
    SOON!
    -3.73 gears

Identical..
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad513 View Post
    Is it true that GMC has more rivets on the frame then a Chevy truck of the same model? For example the Chevy Silverado 1500 compared to the GMC Sierra 1500. My friend and I got into an arguement on who has a better built frame and he told me that.
    How would your friend know that?
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbomber View Post
    How would your friend know that?
    He probably counted all the rivets Nah, each frame is the identical. The only differences are cosmetic ones.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

What everyone else said, the frames are identical, as are most of the parts on GMCs and Chevys. The myth that GMCs are "built better" is just that, a myth.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

What is your friend smoking?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

same truck, motor, tranny just a different cosmetic look. you take the body work off both and you won't know the difference.

Sr. Apprentice

Not to start a dispute or anything but just because the components are the same doesn't necessarily mean that GMCs aren't built better. Is there any info on the time that is spent on assembly? Because if there is more time spent on a GMC than it would be a better rig. I have a Chevy so I am slamming myself but I have heard this from multiple GMC owners (who may just be trying to justify spending more on their rigs) so it is worth looking into. So does GM spend more time on a GMC truck than they do with a Chevy?
    1991 Chevy Suburban, 190K, 1500 1/2 ton, 5.7L, 3:42 gears, 4X4, stock tire size, stock suspension set up.

My Aunt works at the Arlington TX. GM plant as a QA inspector and she says theres no difference between the two trucks, they both spend the same amount of time on the assembly line and in most cases are literally built side by side.
    At times the assembly line will be fully taken over by one brand or the other if theres a pending sale or regional shortage that needs to be corrected.
    Other than minor differences with sheet metal, badging, and packaging their the same truck.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Johnson View Post
    Not to start a dispute or anything but just because the components are the same doesn't necessarily mean that GMCs aren't built better. Is there any info on the time that is spent on assembly? Because if there is more time spent on a GMC than it would be a better rig. I have a Chevy so I am slamming myself but I have heard this from multiple GMC owners (who may just be trying to justify spending more on their rigs) so it is worth looking into. So does GM spend more time on a GMC truck than they do with a Chevy?
    Why does a longer cycle time mean a better built product? There are many variables that go into a line speed, and just because it takes longer to build a product does not make it superior by any means. More often than not, that product has not been engineered very well (or for manufacturability) and there are problematic parts/assemblies. I have always heard that GMC was a "step up" between the brands, but majority of the parts are standardized.

To the OP, why would more rivets make it a better frame? They would be the weakest link fastener wise compared to a bolted design, welded, solid, hydroformed, etc.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    My Aunt works at the Arlington TX. GM plant as a QA inspector and she says theres no difference between the two trucks, they both spend the same amount of time on the assembly line and in most cases are literally built side by side.
    At times the assembly line will be fully taken over by one brand or the other if theres a pending sale or regional shortage that needs to be corrected.
    Other than minor differences with sheet metal, badging, and packaging their the same truck.
    Thanks for sharing! Glad to see GM has flexible manufacturing
    2011 Chevy 1500 LT, Crew Cab, 5.3L w/act fuel mgt; flex-fuel, 6spd, 3.42 gears, All Star Edition, Z71 & Z82 pkg, towing mirrors, 265/65/18's on aluminum

1997 Fleetwood Prowler 26T - Fiberglass

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast