GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default a word of caution about the stock Jack

well i am glad this happened to me and not the wife (she and 6 girls just got back from kids camp) the wife needed the burban for the day so she was going to drop me off at work. on the trip in we heard a strange noise from outside the burban, so we pulled into the gas station to look for it and get a cold drink. well we got a flat the pass side rear blew a sidewall 4" slash cut (not sure how it went) we removed the spare and the jack and needed tools.

i decided to verify where chevy likes to have the jack (same place that i set it under the axle next to the shock mount). and then i poped the wheel cover and lossened the 6 lugs. i then jacked the beast up and removed the bad tire. i went to install the spare and it was not high enough (i needed 2 more inches (sounds like a sig line...lol) so under the beast i go to reinstall the jack handle and as i am streching to get the handle lined up with the jack end i heard the wife scream "it's falling of the jack" as i look up i see the suburban falling at me in what seemed slow motion. i got hit in the face and the bumper ripped a gash in my arm and she dropped to the ground. i was not hurt too bad (if she was not there i would have been under it and well...) i had to go buy a new floor jack and jack her up and got the new spare on. the support pin in the jack brok and the jack failed to hold the suburban. the out come was lucky this time but now i got a small cheap floor jack in the surban now and tossed the factory jack and i got a set of wheel chocks $3 Wal-mart.

ok here is the pics of the jack.

mike
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 07-04-2007 at 11:19 PM.
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Wow, that could have been a very bad story! I've heard stories about guys getting pinned under their vehicles when the jacks drop out, but I've never had it happen to me. I wonder what the specs on the 1993 jack are and why the pin failed.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

That was a close one
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

Sr. Apprentice

Glad you're okay. Did the jack just fail under the weight, or did the Suburban roll and cause the jack to fail from the changing angle?

Scissor jacks are always junk. My burb came from the factory with a bottle jack. Glad you weren't hurt worse. Any damage to the rig?
    1984 Chevy K20 Silverado Suburban. 6.2L Diesel, 700r4, 208C.

Sr. Engineer
    Blog Entries

Holy crap! Glad you are okay...scary.

2007 Colorado Regular Cab Z85 2.9L/4 cyl.
    Lowered 3/4
    18" Nissan Titan Rims