GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rear tire swing?

I have a 97 2500 'burb and I need to get the spare tire out of the rear storage area. I want to get a rear tire swing but, I can't find one that works. Anyone have ideas?

-mx

I like the idea. There's plenty made for Jeep Wranglers, and some of those have some beefy tire/wheel setups.
    I'm guessing the problem would be the upper mount, lower can bolt to the bumper.

Do you have barn doors?

I do have barn doors. It seems there are three ways to do it. Build one that is connected to the door hinges on the right, build one into the bumper itself or build one that attaches to the receiver. I think the latter will be the least expensive but, I do need to replace my bumper anyway since someone nailed my burb in a parking lot and drove off.

I was thinking something like this for the bumper:

Any opinions?

Personally, I'd build or get one that swings from the drivers side and doesn't go all the way across. The reasoning for this is the passenger side door opens first, and probably something you open a lot. You don't want to have to swing the tire carrier open every time you need to just quickly grab something out the back of the truck. Swinging from the left and only having the swing half-length allows you to open the door without having to swing the carrier open.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

A Co called Valley used to make a Bumper tire carrier. It worked on Tahoes and Subs.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Good point. I intend to do that. I am leaning towards the bumper option for that reason as it seems to be easier to orient the swing on one side that way.

Yeah, exactly. Thanks!

http://www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml

Tire Gate makes some pretty cool stuff, make sure to check them out. I'd like to get one for my truck

1995 Chevy Tahoe