GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Engineer

Default ? about oil capacity rear diff.

Just changed oil in rear differential and the amount of oil drained out not near what I put back in. Quart and a half out and three quarts back and absolutly no evidence of a leak anywhere. The owners manual tells me what oil to use but not amount. This is a 2000 yukon with 80,000 miles that i have had for about four months. Tag on the differential suggest a level to maintain- 15 to 40 mm below fill hole (not real easy to determine). So the question is... What is the fluid capacity of the rear differential?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Quote Originally Posted by dpeter View Post
    Just changed oil in rear differential and the amount of oil drained out not near what I put back in. Quart and a half out and three quarts back and absolutly no evidence of a leak anywhere. The owners manual tells me what oil to use but not amount. This is a 2000 yukon with 80,000 miles that i have had for about four months. Tag on the differential suggest a level to maintain- 15 to 40 mm below fill hole (not real easy to determine). So the question is... What is the fluid capacity of the rear differential?
    For the Rear Differential Capacity.....
    Rear Drive Axle (8.6") 2.03 liters (2.15 quarts)

Rear Drive Axle (9.5") 2.60 liters (2.75 quarts)

Rear Drive Axle (9.75") 2.84 liters (3.00 quarts)

Rear Drive Axle (10.5") 2.60 liters (2.75 quarts)

Rear Drive Axle (11.5") 3.00 liters (3.17 quarts)

Your 2000"Yukon would be the first one on the list.....the 8.6"....and For my Truck It Took....2-1/2 Quarts to Fill.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 08-22-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Sr. Engineer

Hmmmm, still doesn't add up but whatever it is, for sure it was low and now it is "adequate". Thanks for the info Heartbeat.

Do you no the ring gear for my truck. I got a 97 k1500. I wanted to change my oil in minebut idk the ring gear and didnt wanna tear her apart n be screwed if i aint got the right amount

A quick reminder when you fill your diff, front or rear, back up make sure the vehicle is level.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

Quote Originally Posted by dpeter View Post
    Same thing for me on my 2013 Silverado. I changed the rear axle fluid and pulled 2.25 quarts and put 3 quarts back in. I filled it on level ground until fluid came running out the fill hole.

I've read literally hundreds of different posts and even called the dealer and asked one of the service guys. The consensus was to fill the diff until fluid runs out the fill hole.

How in the heck does one measure 15mm below the fill hole and do it accurately?

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Sr. Engineer

I bent a piece of wire at right angle and made one end 30 mm long and marked it at 5 mm increments and made the other end about four inches long so as not to accidently lose it into the hole