GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Post A Sleeping GMC Sierra

I was wondering what it would cost to rebuild a 1989 350 motor in a Sierra, 8 foot bed with extended cab. Also it was up in New Hampshire and has a really sad amount of rust damage and under the back seats are fist size holes. My dad told me the engine was way overdue for a engine rebuild if i choose to do that. Or I could get another complete 350 engine with very low miles. I will have more pics of it in a few days and as you can see in the pic. The cab corners are rusted and above the wheels are to, Worst of all is the frame where the gas tanks straps go is completely gone. So me and my dad will attach them to the bottom of the bed when we get new straps.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26782_114447015239817_1000002355609.jpg  

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the GM truck club General. The price of your rebuild is tough to guess because it depends on what area of the country you're in & just how much your enging's going to need which is going to depend on the miles on it. A high miler/worn out engine would cost approx $3,600-$3,800 to have done here, & a lower miler would be about $3,000. Depending on what the prices are where you live, & the miles on your engine, you may want to get a GM crate engine & you & your Dad put it in.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Ahhh Man!.... 188k in miles and would be junked to if i didn't want it but i had some really good times with it. That truck of yours must be pretty sweet.

Default 350 Engine

Well here she is. With a brand new alternator My dad bought the Alternator almost a year ago along with a new pulley in their. So thats something I probably won't replace when i rebuild it, I plan on doing everything thats old and worn out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31663_121800054504513_100000235560926_232993_757233_n (1).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	26329
    Last edited by The General; 04-04-2011 at 02:29 AM. Reason: more deatails
    Owner of the sleeping GMC.

Look at crate engines from "Year One" I was watching My Classic Car the other day and they had a rep from Year One on that was talking about crate 350's as low as $2000.
    If you can buy one that cheap it'd definately be better than rebuilding the one you have.

Sounds nice and everything.. But their is just no way i can do it. If i am restoring her i want everything to be the same when my dad was driving it.

Welcome to the Club, General.

Does this engine run at all, or is it just weak? Also, did I read that the frame is rusted through, or is it the cross-member above the tank?

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Thanks, She runs but is starting to die down alot and needs help soon. The frame has a decent amount of rust, the cross- member Above the Tank Is
    Definitely rusted bad, My dad said we would have to attach the new straps to the bed when we get them. Is this normal for any GMC Cuase mine was up
    In New Hampshire for awhile.

I've seen a few vehicles from along the coast, and yes, the rust happens. We get a lot in Michigan, too.
    I asked just to put it out there - making the truck run right is always a good thing, but it also has to stop, not fill the cabin with CO, and hopefully not fold in half once you're back to full power.

I can't hear the engine, but I'm cheap and always start small; check if the convertors are clogged, pull a valve cover to see if it's gummed up, run some fuel system cleaner through it, etc. You may have already done all this and are looking for the next step, which the guys above have already directed you.

I, too, have a '89 Sierra, that is kind of the other direction - 305 that runs great, but I think the hood latch is the only thing holding the front end on.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Wow thats very interesting story you have about yours. Yea I'll be sure to make sure the exhaust is good. Also i'll keep you guys updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by