GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default trailer axle alignment

I'm having an issue with my tent trailer "eating" tires. the shop said that I should just need to replace the axle (a "torflex" rubber torsion axle) as there is no allowance for adjustment and the axle is probably bent. I'm ready and able to replace the axle, but, before I lay down a few hundred dollars for a new axle, is ther a ready way a shadetree mech like me can check to make sure the axle is simply bent and not some other damage to the frame or other that is causing the alignment to be off.

(Does that make sense?)
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I would think an alignment shop could put it on their rack and use the alignment machine to check if it's slightly bent beyond what can be seen with the naked eye.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

u need to pull a string from front to back ( center ) and then check both axles with an angle...need 90 degree everywhere and your fine ...i bet they are off, if only 1/4 inch off they will eat tires !
    hope that helps !

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Measuring from fixed points on both sides and comparing the numbers is about the only way I've ever heard of checking for bends on a single axle trailer

Thanks for the help guys. I was hoping it would be as easy as applying a little geometry to the problem. I'll get some string and make sure it is square with the center line. and a few other measurements to make sure it is the axle that is bent.

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I was hoping it would be as easy as applying a little geometry to the problem. I'll get some string and make sure it is square with the center line. and a few other measurements to make sure it is the axle that is bent.
    Thats it ! as long as the axles square with the center line... because it realy does not matter if a frame is bend on a trailer as long as they are square.
    If an axle is bent ( torsion axle ) u can heat it and bend it back easy..just not on the outer 12 inches....since this is where the rubber for the torsion is!
    Also , a new torsion xle is about 100-200 bucks only depending on size. Check trailerparts DOT com