GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default My 07 3/4 ton is a PIG

I just traded my 01' 3/4 ton for my new 07 3/4 ton. The new rig does not have the large motor and it feels like it (GM in it's infinite wisdom only offers one motor for the 3/4 ton). The vehicle itself is O.K. but there is just not enough power. My V6 Toyota 4-Runner will out tow the Suburban.

My real problem is when it gets hot and I am towing. From off the line- the Suburban will barely go with my foot pushed to the floor. I know the computer changes everything when the motor gets to a cetain point but this is ridiculous. Any suggestions?
    07' 3/4 ton in Phoenix

what kind of engine the 5.3L is it not? Its really hard to believe its got no power considering my 07 Silverado with the 4.3 v6 pulled a trailer with the trailer brakes on, and a parked old heavy car with its brake on. with the touch of the pedal, not at the same time obviously.

Default Only one motor avaialble for 3/5 ton on 07'

GM only offers the 6.0 liter V8 on the 3/4 ton Suburbans for 07'. I now have this rig into the shop. It has 15K miles on it.
    Yesterday evening while towing my boat I was blowing a stream of sparks out of the exhaust. I think the catalytic converter is messed up. Also, my AC compressor quit working last night.

As musch as I hate to say It I am considering dumping this vehicle already and replacing it with a Toyota Sequoia. It is at the dealer right now and I am giving it one last chance.

well that dont sound good hope you get the fixed the 6.0 should have lots of power to do any thing you could ever need so unless your boat is a 75 foot yacht that sould not happen so good luck
    Corey M (CoDaChrome™)
    the vehicles I have/had
    1989 GMC 2500 4wd (Sold)
    1989 Palomino hard-side popup
    1990 GMC 2500 pickup 2wd
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Beater) (sold)
    1997 GMC jimmy sle 4wd (Sold)
    1999 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2000 Sunline 30' travel trailer
    2003 Silverado Z71 offroad
    2006 Yamaha wolverine 450 4wd

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoDaChrome View Post
    well that dont sound good hope you get the fixed the 6.0 should have lots of power to do any thing you could ever need so unless your boat is a 75 foot yacht that sould not happen so good luck
    I will report back when I hear from the dealer next week. My old Suburban would arguably out tow my turbo diesel 3/4 ton pickup so you can understand why I am so dissapointed.

I'm disappointed for you as well. That stinks that you're in the shop for something major like that after only 15k. From what I've been reading the quality of the 07's has been pretty good actually.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

my 06 has a 4.3 it will pull a 4300dt intl with a 30 ft trailer behingd that stuck in the mud ( due to recent texas rains) i was impressed by that. Your 6.0 should run circles around my 195 hp slowpoke

Default no issue found at the dealer

I got a new AC compressor as mine froze up but the dealer found nothing else wrong. When it is hot out the computer retards this motor down to almost nothing and it will barely move when towing. Otherwise it has been O.K.
    Overall, I would rather have my old 01' Suburban back as it seemed to be more of a truck than this new one.

I'm gonna pull my boat up a steep hill in a couple of days and see if I can make the Suburban blow sparks and smell like it is on fire again. Maybe I can seize it or burn it up & start over.
    Reports to follow.

I’m not saying the engine is a powerhouse, haven’t driven a diesel in years. But the older ones I had driven, even that waste product 350 diesel they made in the 80’s, you know the gas engine reworked to a diesel. Had balls enough to pull just about anything you could hitch to it.

No diesels have the take off acceleration of any of the gas engines, they do have torc (SP) enough to pull redwoods out of the ground though.

I do think your engine has some problems from what you have said, sparks coming out of the tail pipe are never a good sign in any vehicle. Who made the engine? I know years ago when I drove the big rigs one of the best engines you could get was a Detroit diesel.

Dealers that do not do a lot of diesel work may not even have techs that are qualified to work or even look at a diesel engine. Is it possible that is part of the problem.

Ask the dealer to see the techs certs. If they have no one diesel certified you may want to find another dealer. Diesels are not gas engines, they are a completely different animal.

What I would recommend is to stop at one of the local LARGE truck stops that has a service area. Talk to one of the techs there about you problems. They are more than qualified to give you an honest opinion of your engine.

Me I don’t know a dam thing about diesels except that acceleration wise they will never compete with a gas engine of any manufacturer.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Default Your motor is the 6.0 gasoline motor,right?Try 93 octane

Geet,your motor is the 6.0 gasoline motor,correct? A mechanic buddy of mine has a tiny(ha,ha) 5.3 motor in a 2006 Suburban,and he says it will tow his 8000 lb slide out trailer-no problem(yes,I think this is well over the wt it is supposed to handle for a 1/2 ton Suburban).
    There is something wrong with that motor other than being retarded to preven knock.Try it with 93 octane, if the retarding is causing the problem, it should feel like a beast with 93 octane. I just can't believe that the motor/ECM will castrate itself just because it is 110 or so outside(Phoenix,Tuscon,Las Vegas-worst temps in the USA).

Try 93 octane-let us know.
    Luck,
    Charlie

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by