GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default body lift? just thinkin.....

im usually against body lifts but ive seen a few around my area and im kinda thinkin about it now. i mean it gives the look i want and i just plain cant afford a 6" suspension lift....ive already got lift keys and 3" blocks so a 2 or 3" body lift would give me about the same look as a 6" lift. and with the bumper relocation brackets and gap gards it wont look all ****ty like older body lifts.

i searched thre forum a bit but all the hits are just for peoples sigs......
    so if you guys could give me your opinions and reviews it would help a lot
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

To be honest I really liked my body lift on my 94 1500 and if I ever was to put on another lift on a 1/2 ton I'd do it again. I couldn't afford a suspension lift either and I saved more money being able to install it myself.

Pros-
    -cheap
    -doesn't put strain on your front suspension
    -with gap guards you will never know its there

Cons-
    Doesn't give you as much suspension clearence but larger tires will help with that.

I'll post some before and after pics of old truck with the body lift.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

I have looked into BL and like Nathan said they are cheap and done right no one can tell. I have some questions that I could not find soild answers and maybe these are some things you can take into consideration. When doing front bumper relocation will the tow hooks have to be removed and unable to be put back on? When off roading could it allow the bed to come in contact with the cab? And lastly will the tow package look funny hanging down 2"?

________2013 4C Rated__________

Well I'll try and answer your questions...

1. If I remember right you do remove the tow hooks during installation but your kit will provide you with new front bumper brackets and you tow hooks will fit right back it and work like normal!

2. This one I'm not to sure about. Do you mean because of the lift it will have more flex and the bed will hit the cab?? In my opinion I had my truck flexed out a couple times and my bed has never came close to hitting the cab. The blocks they provide you are actually very rigid.

3. I was also worried about this when I went to put mine. But afterwards it really looked pretty good! There will be a space between the bottom of your tailgate and your bumper so I cut out a piece of chrome diamond plate and fit it in there with some spacers and it looked really good. It didn't look tacky or cheap and you could use any other type of material that would match your truck better.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Over the years I've done a lot of body lifts on my own and others trucks and as pointed out they do have good points and bad points.

Expense has always been the most attractive point of a bodylift, but dont skimp when buying a body lift, pay a little more and buy a quality name brand lift.

Before doing a bodylift give thought to how your gonna use the truck (this actually goes for any lift), if the truck is going to be used for hardcore off-road saving and buying a suspension lift might be a better idea due to the gained articulation, if its used for lots of towing no lift at all might be best, if it's light duty wheeling or for looks try to keep the lift (either type) as low as possible so you dont loose the handling. Bigger isnt always better you could end up modifying a truck to the point where it wont do the task's you require most of it.

Bodylifts do need maintenance, even for street driving you should be under the truck at least at every oil change to check the body mount bolts for torque and the body mounts for cracking, this goes for suspension lifts too.

If you regularly haul heavy loads in the bed of your truck remember that a bodylift due to the forces involved just lightened the available payload of the bed.
    There are ways around this the best way is to tack weld at scab plates of at least 4"x4" at every body mount for the bed (wouldnt hurt to do the same on the cab and fender mounts either to solve cracking issues).

Either type lift raises the center of gravity for the truck so more cautious driving should be in order after a lift.

Almost every lift affects the towing capacity of the truck, but when relocating bumpers it makes the rear one useless for bumper towing and and the front one will now have a much lower crash rating.

Yes when twisted up in a ditch it will make it easier for the cab and bed to occupy the same space, specifically right below the back window you'll probably get a few dimples.

On some trucks you can leave the front hooks in place, they end up sitting down below the bumper and looking out of place.
    You could always relocate them at the top of the frame if their not already there, or make custom spacers to lift them, or my favorite trick is to weld them on the frame a few inches farther down the frame sides so they dont stick out the front and arent as noticeable.

Rear or front reciever hitch's can be custom fabbed to lift them right back below the bumper, if you go this route have a certified welder do the job it needs to be real strong and theres structural changes that need to be though out when doing this.
    One of my favorite tricks to do when custom fabbing a reciever hitch is to slide it back along the frame about 3", yea it brings the hitch under the truck a little but it also disburses the trailer weight better and makes for a much better handling trailer.

One of the best materials I've found to cover the gaps with is Pond Liner, you can find it at most Home Depots or Lowes in the darden area. It's not to heavy, doesnt easily tear, and comes in large sheets you can cut out to fit you specific needs.

I went this route (leveling kit and 3" BL) in my titan and I know they are different trucks but same deal. I wasnt happy with mine at all and after paying $300 for the lift and $300 for the install it still cost $600 which isnt really cheap. My front bumper never looked right again and I was always tightening up all my mounts (once every couple weeks), I did a fair amount of wheeling but nothing outrageous. I would never go 3" again, I've considered setting a 1.5" on top of my 6" suspension lift but I'm still undecided. If your just going for looks and you can tackle doing it yourself then I'd say its worth it but in the long run it may not end up being cheaper then buying a 4" suspension lift. Just my 2 cents.

I'd save up for a 3" suspension from Skyjacker. I think its easier to install than a bodylift. You DON'T have to drop out the front diff. to install.

well i use my truck as a daily driver and haul stuff for work and to to the scrap yard for some extra cash, so i dont want to too high and not be able to lift things in and out of the bed. and as far as the 3" suspension lift- i checked into them a bit but i figure if your gonna pay that much a 6" kit isnt much more ( size issue again, i know but idk if i could stop myself from going bigger and disliking it in the end), and i found pretty mixed reviews. i also looked into the 1.5 and 2" BL but ive been having trouble finding a kit with good reviews, and a good parts description ( steering ext, bumper brackets, etc.). and the tow hitch issue i think could be easily solved with a solid piece of steel or aluminum stock with longer bolts where the hitch bolts to the bumper in the center.
    to be honest a kinda like the idea of only using a 1.5" bl to minimize consequences but im not sure if it would be worth the time to install such a small kit (will i regret not getting a 2 or 3 inch kit, but then again 1/2 is almost unnoticeable)

so in the end idk what ill decide on goin with, but every but if info helps
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's

Yes you are right about the price between a 3" and 6" lift kit, BUT here again it depends on what and how you use your truck. Also if you get a 6" kit, then you have to get bigger tires (more money) and they will lift the truck even more. A 6" lifted truck with 35's is a bit*h to work out of. We had customers we tried to tell that to and they wouldn't listen to us and had us install the larger kits and they soon found out. EVERYONE of them said they should have listened to us. I would go with the 3" suspension lift and a 285 or 295 tire. You will be happy with it.

im running 285/75/16s now with a leveling kit and 3" rear blocks, and i just want it a bit higher, i mean it looks almost stock right now. also my wife drives it occasionally and theres a kid on the way so adding a 3" suspension lift and 35s might be to much
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's