GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Question: Add a Leaf vs Rear Block

Ok, truck guys, I have a question. Can some one tell me what is better for towing if you have a level kit. Add a leaf or Rear blocks to prevent the nose up appearance when towing say a camper?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Camper.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	26410

2010 Silverado LTZ 4x4 Z71
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Performance: Flowmaster 50 Series SIDO, DiabloSport Predator, K&N drop in filter
    Exterior: Readylift 2.25 front and rear, Undercover SE, Tint, Chrome Nerf Bars, Line-X bedliner, Some debadging, Blacked out Bowties, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs 295/65/R18
    Interior: Duha underseat storage, WeatherTech floor liners

I would think add-a-leaf would be best. The added springs would help to take some of the weight of the trailer and with more leaves, less stress would be placed on each individual leaf.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Thanks, I am beginning to think thats the way to go. I really only want a max lift of 3/4- 1 inch. As it is I am 1/2 inch higher in the front, so more than that would put me right back where I was before the level kit. I am not getting bigger tires any time soon. Any brand recommendations?

2010 Silverado LTZ 4x4 Z71
    Performance: Flowmaster 50 Series SIDO, DiabloSport Predator, K&N drop in filter
    Exterior: Readylift 2.25 front and rear, Undercover SE, Tint, Chrome Nerf Bars, Line-X bedliner, Some debadging, Blacked out Bowties, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs 295/65/R18
    Interior: Duha underseat storage, WeatherTech floor liners

Add A Leaf, blocks tend to torque on the springs and with the added stress of towing this would get worse causing the springs to prematurely wear and end up sagging.
    Have you thought about shocks with helper coils?
    Add A Leaf will lift the rear of the truck some and stiffen the ride, shocks with helper coils should keep it level and maintain the ride a little better.
    Or if $$ isnt a factor you could go with an air bag system.

Jr. Apprentice

You need a WD hitch there buddy. There should be no weight taken off the front axle when towing. This changes the geometry of all the suspension components, not allowing them to work correctly. You loose steering capability (less tire contact). What is the TW of that trailer? I'm assuming you have the bed loaded down quite a bit also. Neither an AAL or block will help you in this situation.
    2011 Chevy 1500 LT, Crew Cab, 5.3L w/act fuel mgt; flex-fuel, 6spd, 3.42 gears, All Star Edition, Z71 & Z82 pkg, towing mirrors, 265/65/18's on aluminum

1997 Fleetwood Prowler 26T - Fiberglass