GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Default If it wasnt for bad luck.........................

So yesterday i got off of work at 2 like normal for this week, and im driving home on I35 doing 70 minding my own business (in my new gas mizer Saturn) and i get a little clunk. Just in time to look back and watch a nice big cloud of blueish smoke rolling out the back. My car bucks a little and i think the motor just gave up the ghost. So i take the offramp, and pull over pop the hood, and take a look. there is oil pouring out of the bottom. So i check the oil. Full still.. And i check the tranny. NONE with a bunch of nice big metal chunks. Long story short i had a buddy come and meet me to pull me home and he got there just as i found the mess. So he followed me and i drove it the last 10 miles home oh the "cute" noises a front wheel drive manual tranny makes as you drive with a blown diff. So this weekend was going to be some fun. Now i get to put a new tranny in my 1 month old new to me 1998 Saturn> and i bought one with a Manual tranny in it since the autos were junk. And thought i would save some money on gas. Which it has i get 34mpg with it. but in the month that i have owned it, it has burned thru $210 in parts, and now a $250 tranny (know a guy at the junk yard otherwise $500) woohoo. end rant. haha
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Yes, that sucks.
    We-wife, son me, 4 cats, 1 dog are currently poor

So we are trying to save $$(hence 216,000 mile suburban etc).( now the $2900 Suburban has been the only good luck so far- most used stuff is nearly junk-Suburban has been a winner-cheap to fix,pretty reliable,and decent mpg-considering)
    Unfortunately having to be cheap means having to make due with used stuff- constant repairs, taking chances on used- but cheap- parts- used appliances-used clothes- used everything.
    Wife's cousin has a 1996 Saturn- 160,000 miles-MT- runs pretty well considering GM had not great QC back then.

Yeah,I sympathize- used stuff takes lots of work to keep running.
    Spent the weekend preparing a bicycle to sell- reusing parts- big pain.
    Luck
    Charlie
    P
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Dang Murdog it seems like you just can't ever catch a break!!! I think its the GM truck gods getting back at you for buying that ford!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yeah i hear ya.. I bought the saturn because burning $100 a week in gas (now it will be closer to $120) just to get to work. Wasnt working so when i sold my blazer i took some of the money and bought this thing. But my usual luck struck again since i buy a car and it fails! my buddy bought a Taurus for $250 and drove it for a year and a half and never touched it! and then he sold it for $500! Some people got it some dont!
    And i dont mind having to spend a little money to do repairs because it beats the alternative of dealing with a car payment. However this thing has eaten half the purchase price in parts in a month!
    And on a side note mine had 178K when i bought it now it has just under 180K. and for a saturn it doesnt burn or leak oil.. my buddy actually laughed at me when i told him the tranny failed since they have more saturns than they know what to do with but they all have bad motors this is one of the first MT's that they have sold in years. So i musta picked a good one HAHA!!!

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    Dang Murdog it seems like you just can't ever catch a break!!! I think its the GM truck gods getting back at you for buying that ford!
    Well if they had made a GM truck available i would have bought it. and sadly that truck is the most reliable used vehicle i have owned minus my 97 blazer! and the ford has 259K miles on it! so go figure mabey i need to stop trying to buy used cars with low miles, and go with used cars that have over 250K huh?? HAHA

Legend

Blog Entries

That sucks Mike...sorry to hear about more problems. On the positive side though (if there really is one) is that all of these problems have really kept your mechanical skills up to date and being used. That's probably one of the reasons why you're one of the best on here.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Legend
    Blog Entries

I wouldnt say best.. and i would far rather not use my mechanical skills.. HAHAHA. oh well not like i wanted to tackle any of my other projects this week anyhow! but i guess it gives me a chance to play with the new extension that i bought as well! 10in craftsman with a socket lock! i buy my tools one at a time, and this was one i have needed for a long time! oh well next is a REALLY big sledge hammer. or just settle in an get a new car though i hate payments.

Mike, you could write a book on bad luck. Sorry man. Hope things work out.

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    I wouldnt say best.. and i would far rather not use my mechanical skills.. HAHAHA. oh well not like i wanted to tackle any of my other projects this week anyhow! but i guess it gives me a chance to play with the new extension that i bought as well! 10in craftsman with a socket lock! i buy my tools one at a time, and this was one i have needed for a long time! oh well next is a REALLY big sledge hammer. or just settle in an get a new car though i hate payments.
    new cars are overrated (although nice). as long as it behaves after this you will still make up your money in gas in a few months. definately talk about bad luck though. As they say if it werent for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    I gotta go with Nathan & the GM truck Gods on this one since you probably maintain your rigs as well as anyone. Did it just grenade & dump all the gear oil, & that's why it was dry when you checked it?
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yeah the case has a hole in it the size of my fist. And the gear oil was full on Friday when i checked it (thanks to saturn actually having a dipstick to check their manual trannies) the way it is looking i lost a good portion of the Diff, since the tranny still had all 5 gears as i drove it home. The were just "FUN" noises coming from the tranny, and the hole, and the lack of oil.
    As to the new car. the wife has been after me to get us something with lower miles etc.. Since her car has the lowest miles @ 175K miles. I dont mind them, but honestly i dont know if i trust the motor in the saturn and the cost of a junk yard tranny, and new clutch, and slave cyl is around $700 total. So i have to decide. Till then i get to drive the camper hauler, so im not to unhappy since id rather drive a truck anyhow.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by