GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default what tools are required for brake shoe replacement

Have a 2007 silverado and rear brakes wore out before front brakes. What tools are needed to do the rear brakes myself. If you can tell me a part number of a Snap on tool, i can look that up because i have the catalog to view.
    I can look up mac and matco too

Thank You for the time

Welcome to the site. I don't know if you need any special tools, but someone else will be better able to answer your question. Any idea how you wore out your rear brakes first?

Ive never really done rear brakes with special tools. usually use a screwdriver instead of a brake spoon for the adjustment. drum brakes do need to be adjusted afterwards. a pair of vice grips or pliers to grab the springs for removal and installation. A photographic memory (or digital picture) so you make sure to put it all back correctly. on some vehicles (and I beleive this is one, sorry both my last two trucks had disc rear) there are two different size shoes (pad surface) and is very important that they are istalled correctly. rear brake shoes can be a pain because of all the peices and springs. Just make sure to keep track of everything. if you are fairly mechanical they really arent bad, can just give you fits every now and then. I know the rear shoes on my saturn I just did had me cussing cuz they werent cooperating and Ive done a lot of them. grab a can or two of brake clean as well.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

disc or drums?
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

I beleive chevy went back to drum rear after 2004. but if they are disc thats way easier.

Drum Brakes, i am doing them monday

Years ago, I bought a brake tool set from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...l-set-188.html) which I think was pretty useful. In particular, I've found the brake spring tool (bottom item in the picture) useful for removing/replacing the main springs.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Sr. Apprentice

Drum Brakes are the devil! Now that I got that off my chest, I changed the drum brakes on my '07 Silverado last weekend. It is impossible to confuse which shoe goes on which side of the brake because one of them has a spring that the parking brake cable has to go through for it to function. That is also the worst part of putting the brakes back together, getting the end of the parking brake cable into the notch in the end of the spring. The problem i was having was the cable would work itself back up into the parking brake tube that comes into the back of the drum. I ended clamping a pair of vice grips on the cable to keep it from sliding around and that made it much easier. That being said I am probably going to be converting the rear to disc brakes rather than change another set of drums on my truck.

Adam - Wherever the Navy puts me
    2007 Chevy Silverado Regular Cab
    22x10 KMC LO-FI w/ 305/40R22 Yokohama Avids
    Ground Force 2"/4" Lowering Kit
    Eagle Eye Projector "Halo" Headlights
    RECON smoked tail lights
    RECON smoked third brake light
    De-Lettered
    De-Molded
    5.3L V8 Flex Fuel
    Banks Power Ram-Air Intake
    TEA Stage 1.5 Heads
    Comp Cams 54-450-11
    Dynatech Full Length headers
    Dynatech Intermediate pipe with hi-flow cats
    2.5" Single-in, Dual-out Magnaflow muffler
    296 rwhp
    306 ft-lb torque

Sr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

DO ONE SHOE AT A TIME! The retaining spring will be a b*tch to get back together if you take the whole assembly apart. Learned that the hard way. Took myself and my cousing(certified mechanic) and hour to do the side we took the whole thing apart on and 15 minutes to do the other side where we left the spring n one shoe and replaced one at a time. Nice little trick. Helps to have two people to keep everything lined up as well. Good luck!

07 Silverado 1500 5.3L extended cab
    4" Rancho Suspension lift with Adjustable Shocks
    2" Leveling kit
    1.5" Zone Offroad body lift
    35x12.50 R 18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    Ranch Hand Grille Guard
    Ranch Hand Rear Bumper
    Tow mirrors
    Color matched grey/silver Bushwacker fender flares
    Dual exhaust from cats back with X pipe coming out 5" tips
    Black Tool box
    Edge CTS Programmer
    Proliner Spray in bedliner
    20% tint all the way around

Guess I've always thought doing the job with the right tools makes life easier.

I believe I bought this spring plier.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G22

And this tool.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G83

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by