GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Jr. Apprentice

Default cd player install question.

So I called best buy to see how much a wireing harness would be for my truck, (05 silver with no controls on the steering wheel) and to see how much it would be to have a cd player installed and they quoted me at 110 for just the Damn harness and around190 to install, they said that the wireing harness for my truck runs into the computer or something stupid. What the hell was that guy talking about anyone know.110 for just the wireing harness. Can anyone help me out I just find it hard to believe it costs that much to put a different cd player in.

Legend

Blog Entries

They are pricey. When I purchased mine (from Best Buy as well) they told me that many electrical items are tied together (i.e. onstar and other truck functions) in which you need harness to help make those connections once you remove the stock receiver. After further looking into I found it is true. You may want to check the internet for better pricing though and I don't they're too hard to install, but one of the audio/video experts will have to respond.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 04-15-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Do you have onstar? They may have quote you one for onstar which is why of the high price. You can get a cheaper one in fact you really dont need a harness as long AS YOUR NOT AN amateur to electrical work.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

There are a few differant ones check out www.metraonline.com and you will see what you need..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X