GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Default A new Lighting addition...

A friend of mine on an Emergency Lighting Forum (http://www.eLightbars.org) asked me to test/torture a utility light that he came up with. And me being the light junkie that I am, i jumped at the chance... We are calling it The Mule as of right now. And let me tell you, this thing throws crazy amounts light.

It's made up of 2 Tomar High Intensity LED Take-Down/Alley Lights, and a Strobes'N'More License Plate Bracket.

Here's a copy of my review from the other forum:
    http://www.elightbars.org/f33/michia...nt-mule-13893/

Initial reaction:
    Packaging - 10 out of 10
    I wasn't really sure what to expect when I received this box, but it was suprisingly heavy for what I knew was going to be inside. Upon opening the box, I found the item to be pack VERY well, and marked "Fragile - Handle With Care" all over it. And it survived the typical USPS handling. There were some dings and compression marks on the box when it arrived, but no damage to the unit itself.
    Consrtruction - 10 out or 10
    When I opened the box, I was shocked to say the least. Shocked in a good way. This thing looked absolutely AWESOME!!! It is a very solid unit. No wiggles or lose anything anywhere on it. The mount plate had to be modified to accept this lighthead, but you can't even tell, the lighthead and mount plate match up perfectly. Wiring was as professional as you can get. Heat shrunk from lighthead to lighthead, and down the lead wires, leaving about 6 inches of bare wire for connection.
    Functionality 9.5 out of 10
    As for the lightheads themselves, well, they are very sweet looking. Nice DEEP reclectors, very bright LEDS. This thing is INSANELY bright!!! I can usually look directly into most LED products, but not this one. It's bright to look at it from the side, never mind head-on.
    I did a simple "Extended Usage" test on these lights, and it did amazing. I had the lighthead activated for over an hour (approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes). The only fault I found is that the back of the lighthead itself gets extremely hot. So hot in fact, that you can not even tough it. And that heat conducts itself through the mount plate onto the bracket. The mount plate gets very warm, but nothing that can really burn you. And the bracket only gets warm at the point where it makes contact with the mount plate. It's that heat that makes me deduct 1/2 a point on the overal functuon of this product. I do take into consideration that this lighthead is a High Intensity LED lighthead and it's designed as an alley/take-down light. It was NEVER intended to be on for over and hour continuously. But after only 10 minutes the back of the lighthead and the mount plate were merely warm to the touch, and stone cold after 20 minutes.
    Here's the link to my photobucket folder with all the pics...
    http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...000/?start=all

And here's a Vid of the finished product:

Hope you enjoy!!! And if you want more info, feel free to contact Dave from MichanaELS: david@michianaels.com

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Thats pretty freakin awesome!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend

Blog Entries

Looks great Tim! It does put out a lot of lumens. I would have never guessed you were a light junkie though....haha! Do you have a video with all your lights running at the same time?

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Really nice! Those little strobes look like they pack quite a punch.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Looks great Tim! It does put out a lot of lumens. I would have never guessed you were a light junkie though....haha! Do you have a video with all your lights running at the same time?
    I don't know exactly as the supplier never sent a spec sheet to the distributor... But they are crazy bright in person... Pics/vids don't sdo then justice...

Quote Originally Posted by FrigginNoodles View Post
    Really nice! Those little strobes look like they pack quite a punch.
    LEDs, and yes, they are ridiculous... LoL

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

that looks incredible! Where did you get those leds? and is there a lumen output rating on them?
    Last edited by reggiecab2000; 04-20-2011 at 12:09 AM.