GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Favorite GM Engine / Most reliable

Personaly my favorite is the 4.3L V6. I guess its cause I own one and I know its not much but it gets the job done. Plus its always been reliable for me.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Good old 350 with a 4 banger No computer Crap....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I always like the '90 TPI 350. Had lots of torque.

70's 350 with a 4 bolt main, very little electronics to fool with, strong low end that can be easily modified for big horsepower, intake combinations from blowers to injection to 2 barrel carbs are widely available, many different trans combinations available.
    The small block GM engine from early 50's to the present is a very universal engine, which is why its the most popular swap engine line ever built. Pick one any on and with a little research you'll find a large amount of parts to modify it.

I can't really choose. LOVED my 454's power that wouldn't quit(but those all were when gas was cheap). Had some straight sixes as a kid, The nostalgia factor ran forever!!! A ton of 350's and 400's great power in a small light package, easy to fix and modify for everything from trucks to stockcars. Now I have a 4.3 only had her bout a 1000 miles, but it $3.85/gal gas she's the lil engine that could. Has moved two folks, hauled a bike, and still getting over 17 mpg in town.
    1998 K1500 Ext. Cab 4.3 5spd
    Amsoil, CIA

2007 Harley Davidson Vrod
    Amsoil, Vance & Hines 2into1, K&N Topless,
    Screamin Eagle Racetuner, StageII cams,
    Carbon fiber front fender, and a few more lil goodies:wink:

Loved my 5.7 in my 2-door Tahoe, never had a single problem in 8 years. Tranny issue only. Lovin my 5.3 right now, but would love to have more power. What's the best LS motor? I know the 5.3 is supposed to be solid, but what about the others?
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

I love the LQ9. It's been used for quite some time now at it's a great platform. I have one in my 2500 and I'm building one for a track car.
    2011 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Z71 extended cab. She's 9500 lbs of furry.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

I've only had one- 5.7 in 1998 Suburban.
    It is a heck of an all around motor.
    1) Gets 21 mpg hy at 63 mph on long pure hy trips. When I bought it I expected-from what I read- to get 15-16 mpg hy on long trips.I was stunned when I calculated over 21 mpg for the first leg.
    2) Good acceleration for just 250 claimed HP driving pushing the 6200 lbs trip weight.
    3) 216,000 miles- still good- leaks some oil, but doesn't burn any to speak of.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA