GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Black stuff on rotor

I had my DS front wheel off this weekend and noticed something I haven't seen before. The rotor had a black "smear" (for lack of a better term) about 1/3 in from the outer edge all the way around the rotor. I took a damp rag to see if it wiped off, and nothing came off. It reminds of something that might be "burnt" on there. Does anyone know what I'm looking at here? Problems it might indicate?
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

It might be glazed rotors from overheating them. Is there blue smooth streaks thru it too?

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

I do not recall any other discoloration, but I'll verify that later when I can pull the wheel again.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

You may have gotten (is that a word?) something stuck between the pads and the rotor and it melted to the rotor. You should pull the pads and inspect them to be sure and see if you can get the "smear" off with some mild sandpaper.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

was it by any chance on a chrysler or ford? because in my experience of brakes, chryslers and fords rotors glaze very easily. and this is probably what youve got, and if its a chrysler, the newer ones not brand new but newer models had brake pads without the chamfer on the edges and if they did, they were minimal, so they didnt dissapate heat very well, that, combined with non vented rotors, and every chrysler was coming in with glazed pads and rotors.

point being, take your wheel off, if the rotors are glazed (rough with lines) turn them or replace them, then if your pads are still good, sand the center down, then chamfer the edges, and you should be good to go (Y)