GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Changing the Color of Your Bowtie?

Ive read a ton of posts on here about people wanting the change the color of their bowtie from that hideous gold to color match their truck. Every post ive seen involves taping everything off or removing the emblems and painting them. Well, a friend of mine owns a decal shop and wanted to try wrapping them in vinyl. Looks GREAT. Get the right people to do it and it looks just as good as any time consuming paint job ive seen. No air bubbles or creases at all. Not trying to knock anybodys suggestions but if you arent the painting type then this is a good idea for ya.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

I might also ad, the vinyl is gloss black and made by 3M. and better yet, it has a 7 year warranty on it. Hope this helps!

Yeah, vinyl bowtie covers is always an option. There are several sites that sell them in various colors and patterns (Rebel flag, Texas flag, American flag, etc). I had originally thought about going that route myself but I really wanted a matte look and had plenty of time to deal with the taping.

Vinyls are indeed a great option for some folks, though! Thanks for the post.

Try the vinyl and let us know how it turns out! For mine, I just unbolted the bowtie, roughed it up with some steel wool and then gave it a few coats of gloss black and it came out nice.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Haha... I'm such an idiot that I spent more time trying to remove the front bowtie than I did just giving up and taping it out.

I did it to the front bowtie. I removed it, scuffed it with 2000 grit, used Duplicolor Adheision Promoter, Duplicolor Primer, Duplicolor Gloss Black, and Duplicolor Clearcoat. Pretty simple really and makes a huge difference. My Colorado is white, so if I repaint it, I will do white next time.
    2005 Colorado Z71: °°Stock°°
    2000 Camaro SS: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    "Never argue with an idiot.
    They drag you down to their level,
    then beat you with experience."

the aluminum replacements are not overly pricey i swapped mine out on my 04 and it looks great. its another option cause to get it vinyl coated if you don't know someone in the industry, it could be close to the same price as the aluminum replacement

I'm guessing that there have been over 1 million searches on this site related to blacking out your bowtie.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Sr. Mechanic

The gold was flaking under the clear plastic bowtie, so I popped it off and the wife painted it red on the inside! Put a little 3 in there and then glued it back on! The truck is white, so it looks awesome! I worked at a job that we used a white chevy van, so I painted that one red too! I don't know why chevy don't use red, it looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by zuki82 View Post
    The gold was flaking under the clear plastic bowtie, so I popped it off and the wife painted it red on the inside! Put a little 3 in there and then glued it back on! The truck is white, so it looks awesome! I worked at a job that we used a white chevy van, so I painted that one red too! I don't know why chevy don't use red, it looks awesome!
    Need Pics!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif  

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

If I were going to kick my traditional gold to the curb, it would be for a matt black finish. as I have the polished billet grills.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast