GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default another newb question

i finally decided i was going to to with the RF p3 shallow mount 12" sub. my next question is what would be better for just 1 12" dual 2 ohms or dual 4 ohm's? and what type of amp would be best for whatever. sorry for all the stupid questions just trying to get some bass in my truck. im stupid with electronics

what amp are you running.... the lower you drop your ohms the harder it will hit, but never drop below your amps rating or youll overheat it. so id run it as a mono 2 ohm since most amps can handle a 2 ohm load. heres a link to help you wire it up
    http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...9&locale=en_us

but if you your amp can drop to 1 ohm id get 2 subs and pet em pound
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Quote Originally Posted by GSXR View Post
    i finally decided i was going to to with the RF p3 shallow mount 12" sub. my next question is what would be better for just 1 12" dual 2 ohms or dual 4 ohm's? and what type of amp would be best for whatever. sorry for all the stupid questions just trying to get some bass in my truck. im stupid with electronics
    It all depends on what amp you run. Some amps are only 2 ohm stable so it would be best to go with either a dual 4 ohm or dual 1 ohm sub. If you are getting an amp that is 1 ohm stable, it is best to get a dual 2 ohm sub to get the full potential out of the amp. Send me a private message and I can help you more with any questions you might have.

Jr. Apprentice

i bought the dual 4 ohm. and have been looking for a mono amp. and came across this on. the sub is dual 4 ohm, 800w max 400 rms. how would this amp work with it? sobe3yourself im not sure if you got the pm's or not

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ME-R500-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by GSXR View Post
    i bought the dual 4 ohm. and have been looking for a mono amp. and came across this on. the sub is dual 4 ohm, 800w max 400 rms. how would this amp work with it? sobe3yourself im not sure if you got the pm's or not

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ME-R500-1.html
    I did, I just replied to your pm's. That would actually be a bit better than the Pioneer you asked about. That amp is only 2 ohm stable so you could get either a dual 1 ohm or dual 4 ohm sub. I would go with this over the Pioneer, I never really liked pioneer amps and I have NEVER had any problems with the (over 20) RF amps I have owned.

that amp will work well with the sub you have, just wire up up as a mono 2 ohm, you could get a more powerful amp tho so it wont have to work so hard.

wiring:
    amp + -
    1st sub terminals + -
    2nd set + -

hope you undertsand that......run both positives together and both negs together, when i did my probe with that same set up i used one piece or speaker wire (2 wires +/_) to feed bith positive sub terminals and shortened the one side to fit tighter and did the same on the negative side
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks