GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DVD - Built in or portable?

Just curious who's got a built-in DVD system and who has one that's removable and portable? And, who's not got one at all?

We're going to have to get one for our planned road trip later this summer. Just curious what folks have.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend

We actually don't have one. We just took a trip to VA for the week of the 4th. We borrowed my mother-in-laws van that had a drop down screen w/dvd player.
    Wasn't too impressed. The screen was in the way of the rear view mirror the whole trip.

If I ever consider DVD for either the Avalanche, or burb, I will get the head-rest screens instead of center ceiling mount.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    We actually don't have one. We just took a trip to VA for the week of the 4th. We borrowed my mother-in-laws van that had a drop down screen w/dvd player.
    Wasn't too impressed. The screen was in the way of the rear view mirror the whole trip.

If I ever consider DVD for either the Avalanche, or burb, I will get the head-rest screens instead of center ceiling mount.

... Speaking of which, how was your trip?

Earlier this year we bought a two screen DVD player that mounts to head rests. It worked ok on our trip to NM 6 weeks ago. The unit performed almost flawlessly, except the DVD liked to skip when we were driving through a construction zone. The main issue we had was trying to figure out where to put the screens so all four could watch comfortably. When attaching the second screen to the 2nd row head rest, one child could see the screen easily, and one child had to strain a little bit to see it. Need to revisit the arrangement a little to see if we can figure out a little better arrangement for our trip next week to the Or coast.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Blog Entries

We bought a portable with duel screens that hang from the headrests for the suburban. The kids like it because one can play Playstation, while the other watches a movie. We stayed in a hotel that did not have DVD and we were able to hook up the portable to the TV and use it there as well.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Default I agree with Trailleader

My 07 Burb has the built it drop down screen and it does block the rearview miror view. I would also prefer the headrest screens. My buddies wife has a Ford edge and it came with headrest screens. In my case with three kids and the occasional kid next door riding with us, I really need four screens because with the head rest screens in the second row and the third row passengers riding directly behind them, the third row can not see the screens. So mirror blocking or not the most economical way to go with three rows and sometimes four cookie crunchers in tow is the center mount screen. In your case Steve only having one to please, I would go the portable dvd route with hedphones. Jr will be quite and happy and you do not have to hear barney for hours!
    Last edited by terry0341; 07-10-2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added text
    Terry
    2007 Suburban LT2
    #7 in a long line of Chevy trucks

I have this one build in dvd, TV, mp3, divx, USB

http://users.telenet.be/davandy/100_0928.jpg
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

I've seen the head rest ones that come in the travel bag so you can take it in house Steve...since everbody in town has broken into your truck.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    I've seen the head rest ones that come in the travel bag so you can take it in house Steve...since everbody in town has broken into your truck.
    Good thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    Hahaha

Hey, I actually live in a good part of town. They just had a neighborhood watch meeting in here and called in an "upscale" neighboorhood. Just have section 8 govnt housing allowances so the government will pay up to $1800 for someone to move into a rental house ... shoot, I can't afford an $1800 mortgage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast