GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Can you tow more?

Is there there anyway to increase tow power? Im talking rebuilding the rear building the rear end, better shocks, new hitch, bigger engine,load leveling kit, or anything? Right now I have a 4.3l v6 that I really like but iw increase tow to about 10000 or 12000 right now it's 8

There's a lot to this question. First, what model truck do you have? To haul 10-12k of weight, you're going to need a 1-ton class vehicle to pull it. Depending on what you have now, you can do something similar to what I did and upgrade the entire suspension and driveline to 1-ton standards, but even then you'd likely need to put in extra frame supports and box in the frame rails to get the kinda of strength and stiffness to haul 12k pounds of load.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

X2 what Christopher said. To tow that kind of weight you need a 1-ton. If you can't do the upgrades yourself than your better of trading for a 1-ton.

Thanks guys this was helpful

And if your 4.3 is like mine it"ll have it's hands full.
    1998 K1500 Ext. Cab 4.3 5spd
    Amsoil, CIA

2007 Harley Davidson Vrod
    Amsoil, Vance & Hines 2into1, K&N Topless,
    Screamin Eagle Racetuner, StageII cams,
    Carbon fiber front fender, and a few more lil goodies:wink: