GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cold Air Intake Vs Exhaust System

I've had my truck for almost a year now and am looking into doing a mod or two. I was looking to hear some opinions on the benefits of both a Cold Air Intake and an Exhaust System on MPGs and HPs. I'm not looking to have an exhaust system that is extremely loud, just louder than stock (if I go that route). Also, I have heard that CAI can make the engine sound a little louder, is this true? Any comments are welcome.
    03 Silverado 5.3L 2WD Ext Cab LS, Summit White
    Cooper Discoverer S/T 265/75-16s
    Back Country Step Bars
    Daystar Leveling Kit

A CAI and a better exhaust will give you an increase in HP and maybe a slight increase in MPG as well. However, don't expect a lot of gains from either upgrade by itself. When you have an intake, an exhaust and other upgrades such as headers or a custom tune all on your truck, you will see much bigger improvements than having just a single upgrade. A CAI might change the engine sound a little but idk.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

I had a cai on my 89, it sounded alittle but not as much as the exhaust
    1998 K1500 Ext. Cab 4.3 5spd
    Amsoil, CIA

2007 Harley Davidson Vrod
    Amsoil, Vance & Hines 2into1, K&N Topless,
    Screamin Eagle Racetuner, StageII cams,
    Carbon fiber front fender, and a few more lil goodies:wink:

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

It all depends on your foot... If you have a heavy one then you will not get better MPG's.. As for a good exhust with low noise Corsa would be a good one to look at.. Also what a lot of people over look if you are going to take your 5000LBS Truck faster look in to better breaks too...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by OHChevy03 View Post
    I've had my truck for almost a year now and am looking into doing a mod or two. I was looking to hear some opinions on the benefits of both a Cold Air Intake and an Exhaust System on MPGs and HPs. I'm not looking to have an exhaust system that is extremely loud, just louder than stock (if I go that route). Also, I have heard that CAI can make the engine sound a little louder, is this true? Any comments are welcome.
    I just installed the Airaid MIT and it definitely is louder than stock. The reason why CAI works better than stock, or I should say one of them, is that the air path is simplified which means the removal of the resonators(pockets) that the stock intake tube has to reduce the sound.

2007 Silverado VortecMAX R.I.P 24JUN2011
    2005 Honda VTX 1300R
    2008 Tahoe LTZ
    2009 Dodge Challenger R/T

Okay would it make more sense to leave the filter and filter box stock and just add a new, larger tube? Would this make the engine run more efficient? If I go this route along with a exhaust system would this improve HP and MPGs?
    03 Silverado 5.3L 2WD Ext Cab LS, Summit White
    Cooper Discoverer S/T 265/75-16s
    Back Country Step Bars
    Daystar Leveling Kit

I just installed a K&N Air Filter and dual exhaust's with a Flowmaster super 40 Series dual in / dual out and i can a good bit of difference from my straight's i had. I plan on installing a x pipe which will help me get a few extra HP and some torque and help the exhaust flow more evenly. I believe this will help some also and i will buy header's later on down the road but these mod's together you will see a difference...

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

Quote Originally Posted by OHChevy03 View Post
    Okay would it make more sense to leave the filter and filter box stock and just add a new, larger tube? Would this make the engine run more efficient? If I go this route along with a exhaust system would this improve HP and MPGs?
    I would recommend buying either the Airaid MIT and just get a drop in filter of whatever brand. Keep the OEM airbox as it is already basically a CAI. It is on my 2007 VortecMax 6.0L. Not sure if yours is.

If you look at the sticky about CAI you will see that the stock air intake with just a k&n drop in filter performed about as good as all the other expensive CAI kits. Therefore reasonable deduction will tell you that basically a Airaid MIT or something similar will give you equal performance at a fraction of the cost. The Airaid MIT does make more noise than stock, but only when you are into the throttle heavy. At cruise I hear no more engine noise than with the stock setup.

Now you have air coming in at a greater rate, thus you need to provide a place for it to go. Best solution would be long tube headers and an exhaust system. I am looking into Banks Monster Exhaust as I am going to stick with a 2-1 setup. I am not looking for a noise machine but just a more efficient intake and exhaust process. The more efficient you make it the better HP and MPG you get.

Now my problem is that I like the new growl and the perceived pickup so my gas mileage has actually dropped. I went from 15.2 avg to 15.0 avg and I will say that I am giving it more throttle and goosing it more than I used to. So I will take a hit of only .2 mpg for now and when I get over the newness I'm sure I'll see a slight overall increase in mileage.

2007 Silverado VortecMAX R.I.P 24JUN2011
    2005 Honda VTX 1300R
    2008 Tahoe LTZ
    2009 Dodge Challenger R/T

Volant CAI and Gibson cat back exhaust, you won't be disappointed.
    Adam

Master Mechanic

If you wanna do exhaust I recommend these guys (my kit is on it's way). They will build the kit for your truck so you dont need to remove the spare tire. Right now free shipping and 10 percent off. http://www.truckexhaustkits.com/
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast