GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: What should North American auto makers do to win back sales from foreign auto makers?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Increase fuel efficiency

11 15.94%
  • Increase quality/reliability

36 52.17%
  • Lower prices

11 15.94%
  • Other

11 15.94%
  • No opinion

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buyer loyalty

Most don't realize that Ford did get a bail out. But in a different way, as they did not want to open their books to the feds.
    It is said that the largest purchases of fleet vehicles for the US government was Ford products(during the bail out era). Why would the feds not buy from the companies it was giving huge amounts of cash to. Seems like the Ford folks had a back door resolution.

Jr. Mechanic

According to today's Detroit News the american taxpayer is still on the hook for $26.3 billion with a B dollars from GM's bailout.

Dang. I thought they said they paid it off. Well trust us to trust big business.

GM and Chrysler did pay back the cash. They have not bought the stocks back. My opinion is the bailout of both GM and Chrysler was a plus in one area. It made the UAW rethink and reduce the amount of money they got. When the auto industry was starting to slow down the manufactures laid off workers. They sat home and collected something like 96% of their salary from the manufactures. I don't know about the rest of you but if I get laid off I don't get that much. And because of this the price of the cars and trucks had to cover this cost. I don't see the price of a car going down but it may slow it down a bit. I would also second the idea that they need to made in the US. Not assembled in the US with 75% parts from other countries but 100% made and assembled in the good old U S of A.
    A big problem we have in this country is the fact that no one wants to step on the toes of some one else. Bring the manufacture plants back within the border. Is that going to hurt the economy of other countries such as Mexico. Yep. But, we have to worry about the people that live here. Sorry for the rant it just gets my blood boiling when I start to talk about subjects like this.

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    GM and Chrysler did pay back the cash. They have not bought the stocks back. My opinion is the bailout of both GM and Chrysler was a plus in one area. It made the UAW rethink and reduce the amount of money they got. When the auto industry was starting to slow down the manufactures laid off workers. They sat home and collected something like 96% of their salary from the manufactures. I don't know about the rest of you but if I get laid off I don't get that much. And because of this the price of the cars and trucks had to cover this cost. I don't see the price of a car going down but it may slow it down a bit. I would also second the idea that they need to made in the US. Not assembled in the US with 75% parts from other countries but 100% made and assembled in the good old U S of A.
    A big problem we have in this country is the fact that no one wants to step on the toes of some one else. Bring the manufacture plants back within the border. Is that going to hurt the economy of other countries such as Mexico. Yep. But, we have to worry about the people that live here. Sorry for the rant it just gets my blood boiling when I start to talk about subjects like this.
    "The Treasury extended Chrysler a $12.5 billion bailout and recovered $11.3 billion. By contrast it gave GM a $49.5 billion bailout and has recovered $23.2 billion. At current trading prices the treasury would lose $13 billion on its Gm bailout." This was from yesterday's Detroit News. Not quite even steven according to my math.

Good information. Thanks for the update

It's hard to argue with the reliability of Toyota's whole line. Or Honda for that matter. While GM trucks are typically pretty good here you can't always say the same of the cars.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Well the choice I was looking for was not there. Believe me GM knows about the so called technology of the Toy and they know much more about designing and building vehicles than anyone on here. If they thought that technology could be used and still be as long lasting and dependable they would use it. I had to follow a Toyota tudra about a 2007 or so today from Mobile AL to my house about 17 miles and I bet it used a quart of oil. I thought he was spraying for mosquitoes. Also I see Hondas, Nissans, Kias, Hyundai and Toyotas broke down on the side of the road way more than any other vehicle and I have literally seen one Chevy broke down in the last 8 years and I stopped to help him, his alternator had gone out and the battery ran down while he was driving. Look, I know that the imports came in during the 80s when the big 3 really were building crap and they capitalized on that but today I know at least Chevy and Ford builds as good of a car or truck as is out there and in my opinion better. IMO Americans should start buying American and stop selling out there country for the sake of being hip. I for one love my country enough to spend a little more if neccesary to drive an American vehicle. If we don't buy American who will? Also, just imagine how much better and cheaper the American vehicles would be if they had allot bigger market share. Too many people are buying into this crap that the foreign cars are better, that may have been true at one time but not any more. If I have offended anyone I'm sorry but I am very patriotic, I love my country and I will buy American every chance i get as long as this country is free and I am still breathing. Thank you for reading this.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123