GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Turbo Kit questions

Im looking at putting a turbo on my 2000 Silverado 5.3L. First of all there is a kit on ebay made by Rx Racing called the Street demon has anyone heard anything on this kit? Its way cheap in price which makes me think that its a crappy kit. My situation is that I have a stock turbo off of a 03 Dodge cummings. What I want to do is by the kit on ebay just for the plumbing and and use the dodge turbo. Does anyone know if this could be possible?????
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4, 5.3L V8, 3" Magna Flow exhaust AFE cold air intake. 2 10" CVR Kickers under the backseat. With 1200W Crunch amp.

If you have fab and engineering skills anythings possible.
    It might be a little tricky to get things routed correctly and working together well enough to produce the results your looking for but the biggest problem with this equation is you wont know until you try it out.

Welcome to the club. How many miles on your truck? Also when turbochargering you DON'T want to take the cheap way out. It will cost you alot more in the end.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

That kit your looking at is made for Mazda's. Take a look at NelsonPerformance.com

most kits cheap out when it come to the actual turbo, waste gate, and bov.....but the plumbing is ok you just gotta make it all go how you want and cut it to fit which kinda sucks cus the flared ends are pretty important after 10 lbs. does your cummins turbo have the stock waste gate on it?
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Thanks for the welcome. The truck has 135000 on it. Im really not trying to find a cheap way out. My buddy is giving me his stock cummings turbo for free and we were thinking it would be sweet if there was a way we could put it on my truck. The kit on ebay I was mainly buying for all the prefab piping. Thanks I will check out nelson performance. Do you know anywhere I could maybe just get the plumbing without buying a turbo.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by clgoch187 View Post
    most kits cheap out when it come to the actual turbo, waste gate, and bov.....but the plumbing is ok you just gotta make it all go how you want and cut it to fit which kinda sucks cus the flared ends are pretty important after 10 lbs. does your cummins turbo have the stock waste gate on it?

Ya everything on the turbo is completely stock.

I don't think I would install a turbo on a truck engine with 135,000 miles on it without rebuilding it. That FREE turbo may cost you alot more in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody25 View Post
    The kit on ebay I was mainly buying for all the prefab piping.
    any kit you buy will need modified to work on any given application, basically they just send you a box of tubing and its up to you to figure it out

Thanks for the input guys. I will probably hold off and build a motor and tranny first.

Blog Entries

The turbo will put less strain on the engine when you compare it to a super charger (at least a positive displacement S/C)...all depends on what your end goal is and how much cash you have.

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787