GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leveling kit?

Default Leveling kit?

did some looking at leveling kits for my sierra, local off road shop quoted me 480 installed, but i neglected to ask what brand, my question is, how hard would it be to do myself or with some help?

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Depends, how mechanically inclined are you and do you own/ have access to the tools necessary to the job?
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

As TELORVEHC said, depends on your skill. If you have the tools, mainly a torson key compresser tool you can do it. Need a jack, jacks stands and a 18mm socket. Takes about an hour from start to finish. Takes more time getting the tools out and jacking up the truck.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

One last thing. Make sure you measure the truck BEFORE you start so you have a referrance point. I like to measure from the wheel center hub to the fender lip. this way if the grounds not level it doesn't affect the measurement.

i have some tools, and i can go buy a 18 mm socket easy enough, and a bud has a jack and stands, the torsion key compressor i dotn have, would an auto parts shop have such a thing so i could borrow it? just as soon not pay for the install.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Some parts stores will loan or rent the tool. Even if you buy a tool and the keys its still cheaper than $480.00. Did the $480.00 include a realignment??

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

ReadyLift sells a torson bar tool for $100.00.

not sure, im gonna call on monday and find out some more.

thanks all.

Alex

Lets say a leveling kit is around $100.00, tool $100.00, average cost for alignment $65.00. Do it yourself $0.00. You saved over $200.00

It's quite simple to do. I did mine on my 03 by myself in the driveway. Having never done it before, it took me a couple of hours. I also borrowed the torsion bar tool from Auto Zone. Let me ask you though, are you already cranked? If not, crank your tbars and see if you can get a couple of inches out them. If you can, don't waste your money or your time on leveling keys.

Don't you still need a tbar tool to take the stress off of the bolt in order to turn it up?

No. You don't need a torsion bar unloader to simply crank your existing tbars. I put Ford keys on my 03 before I knew better, and the truck rode like a tank. I pulled those keys out, went back to the stockers and cranked. In most cases, leveling keys are a waste of time and money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast