GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leveling kit?

wondering how exactly i would do this, might be a weekend project. any tips or hints would be appreciated. I have a hayes and I can always google fu so....

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

some quick google fu tells me that while cranking the tbars works, front end issues usually result. so i think im gonna hold off for the time being and leave it be.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Installing a leveling kit will not cause any issues on the front suspension. Cranking the torsion bars will level the truck out as well, but it will make your truck ride like crap.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

To be clear, a leveling kit and or cranking of the Tbars will most definately cause premature front end wear. That is an unescapable truth, however when kept to a minimum it's nothing serious. But I disagree that cranking the torsion bars will cause a truck to ride like crap, at least not anymore than "leveling" keys. The problem comes with over cranking. All re-indexed leveling keys do, is allow you to crank your torsion bars more than the factory keys would allow. Thats it. They allow you to overcrank your tbars in most cases. So cranking the factory keys is the way to go, unless your factory keys dont allow for more adjustment, which can sometimes be the case. The bottom line is don't go any higher than about 2" over stock.
    Last edited by Blackout07; 05-07-2011 at 09:46 AM.

I don't personally know because I don't have tbars but I have been told that the ride suffers because of the increased load on the bars. It sounds to me that some don't mind because it is a truck while others do mind because the ride of trucks has come a long way over the years. If I am off base please let me know. I have a co worker that is interested in cranking his bars to level his truck and I want him to be well informed instead of my opinion because like I said I don't have tbars on my truck.

aloxdaddy99, have your friend take a measurement from the wheel hub to the fender on both sides and make a note of these measuement before he cranks the bars. This way if he doesn't like the ride he can go back to his original specs. Every truck is differant so some don't ride harsh after adjusting and other will rattle your teeth. Ownly one way to find out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12