GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Popcorn prices go up. Guess why?

    Popcorn Prices Soaring for Surprising Reason

    Wednesday July 11, 2007
    CityNews.ca Staff
    In the coming weeks and months, it could cost you more to go to the movies. No, the price of a ticket isn't going up again. But if you like a little popcorn with your flick, you may have to shell out a few more kernels from your wallet to buy it. And the reason may surprise you. It has nothing to do with the tasty morsels and everything to do with ethanol.
    The demand for one of the main ingredients that helps create the lower cost and more environmentally friendly fuel has soared, and that's led to an increase in orders for corn across North America and especially in the U.S., where most of the world's popcorn supply is grown. As demand goes up, so does the price, rising more than 40 percent since 2006. The result - suppliers are being charged more for it and they're passing those costs along to you.
    That means the salty snack could wind up costing you more whether you go to the movies or simply make a bowl or microwave a package while watching a flick at home. The Popcorn Board - and yes there really is such an entity - estimates 30 percent of all munching goes on in cinemas, while 70 percent happens at home. But no matter where you eat it, there's a good chance you'll be paying more for the privilege.
    "I think (ethanol is) going to have a uniform effect on all geographical areas that produce popcorn," believes Dennis Kunnemann of AK Acres Popcorn, a company that purchases, processes and sells the kernels to retailers. "This year, we've paid the highest price ever that I've contracted for, 13 cents a pound," compared with 9 cents per pound in 2006. Some companies, like the makers of Jolly Time, have also hiked prices, but have held off on its microwave brand waiting to see where the market's going. But if it goes where analysts expect, they may not wait long.
    All of which means if you're going to see a so-called 'popcorn movie' this summer, the real eye popping drama may not be on the screen. It could wind up being shown on the price board at the concession stand.



    Jamie

    2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

  2. #2
    Master Mechanic
    GM_Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    743

    Default

    now we'll be seeing price gouging for popcorn
    Jeff

    1968 Chrysler Imperial Crown 4 door ht ~ resto project
    1984 Buick Le Sabre 4 door sedan~daily driver






    BUY ONLY GENUINE ACME PRODUCTS



  3. #3
    Legend
    TrailLeadr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs89Suburban View Post
    now we'll be seeing price gouging for popcorn
    You've already been seeing price gouging for popcorn.

    The theater only get's about 10% of the ticket sales from the box office. The rest goes to the production house that owns the movie. So to make up for the lack of profits, they over charge the daylights out the food sold at concession stands.
    This is the major reason why they don't like to allow you to bring your own snacks, as it cuts into their profits.

    Undoubtedly cinemas will take advantage of the opportunity to raise their prices across the board, while they are raising prices on popcorn.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island


  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    You've already been seeing price gouging for popcorn.

    The theater only get's about 10% of the ticket sales from the box office. The rest goes to the production house that owns the movie. So to make up for the lack of profits, they over charge the daylights out the food sold at concession stands.
    This is the major reason why they don't like to allow you to bring your own snacks, as it cuts into their profits.

    Undoubtedly cinemas will take advantage of the opportunity to raise their prices across the board, while they are raising prices on popcorn.
    My wife was a theater manager for a few years I was surprised when she told me how the profits from theaters were distributed.

    If the price of popcorn rises I hope the farmers that grow it see some of the profit. The farming industry has had some lean years.

  5. #5

    Default

    Hemp actually produces more usable configurations for fuel, grows more easily, produces more tonnage per acre and has hundreds of other uses as well. Everyone (including past presidents) grew hemp for cloth, rope, medicine, the list is endless. Don't believe?? Do some reading and research, hemp usage was killed thru political lobbying by the major pharmaceutical companies of the time because they couldn't compete with the natural medicinal values of hemp/cannabis with their "man-made" drugs. Legalization with regulation (ie-alcohol) will bring popcorn and the price of housing prisoners (4 out of 10 non-violent offenders) down, the regulation part would stuff the coffers of the taxing authorities, bring sanity to the spending for the "war on drugs", and allow many ailing medical patients the freedom to choose... Times really don't change much do they...the major players owned us then, as they do now. Whew... Give me a hand down off this soap box would ya? Kerry.
    1988 GMC
    2High Sierra Suburban
    350efi/auto
    Area 51 Recovery unit

    :meuh:

  6. #6

    Default

    WTG Kerry. That was like Martin Luther King's I have a dream speech...Go take a nap now you deserve it!

  7. #7

    Default

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks Cable, by the way, check out my music at http:www.mixposure.com click on bandfinder under artists, type in kerry martin. The site had a major collapse about a week ago but I think the link is working now. Kerry.
    Last edited by Bonzai01; 07-12-2007 at 11:55 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    I always bring my own candy to the movies and until they set up a reese's pieces detector at the entrance, I plan to continue!
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

    If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai01 View Post
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks Cable, by the way, check out my music at http:www.mixposure.com click on bandfinder under artists, type in kerry martin. The site had a major collapse about a week ago but I think the link is working now. Kerry.
    Cool ! Bit of a guitar player myself. I cover alot of Sharon,Louis and Bram ( You know skinna merinkie dinkie Doo, ...ILove you)

    Actually I've always played stuff like Robert Cray, SRV, Jimmie Vaughan, Jeff Beck. Semi-modern Blues.

    BTW I own a 1984 American Fender Strat

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai01 View Post
    Hemp actually produces more usable configurations for fuel, grows more easily, produces more tonnage per acre and has hundreds of other uses as well. Everyone (including past presidents) grew hemp for cloth, rope, medicine, the list is endless. Don't believe?? Do some reading and research, hemp usage was killed thru political lobbying by the major pharmaceutical companies of the time because they couldn't compete with the natural medicinal values of hemp/cannabis with their "man-made" drugs. Legalization with regulation (ie-alcohol) will bring popcorn and the price of housing prisoners (4 out of 10 non-violent offenders) down, the regulation part would stuff the coffers of the taxing authorities, bring sanity to the spending for the "war on drugs", and allow many ailing medical patients the freedom to choose... Times really don't change much do they...the major players owned us then, as they do now. Whew... Give me a hand down off this soap box would ya? Kerry.
    Kerry, I just learned alot off what you said. you need to write a book or something....
    Matt
    1987 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7TBI


Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Guess that tool!
    By Cableguy in forum Games Forum
    Replies: 56
    Last: 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM
  2. Is this a good guess?
    By m.gauthier in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 4
    Last: 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM
  3. It's about time I guess
    By ShelbyTS661 in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last: 05-07-2009, 10:43 PM
  4. r.i.p. popcorn
    By etpn13 in forum Games Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last: 03-19-2009, 09:08 AM
  5. well i guess i should say Hi...
    By Akula682 in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last: 11-06-2008, 06:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •